Would a two wheel drive car fitted with winter tyres cope as well as a 4x4 with winter tyres?

I am having to change my 2008 Nissan X-Trail and want to buy a more environmentally friendly car. However, I live in an upland area of Wales where we get high snowfall in winter in the hills. Would a two wheel drive car fitted with winter tyres cope as well as a 4x4 with winter tyres? What vehicle would you suggest please?

You may be surprised how capable a two-wheel-drive car fitted with winter tyres is - but, ultimately, a 4x4 with winter tyres is the best of both worlds. Have you considered a crossover like the Kia Sportage? You can get a 4x4 version and it will be more efficient than your X-Trail. Alternatively, if you don't need much space, something smaller like the Suzuki Ignis with its Allgrip system will be surprisingly good in the snow.