protective film

I have an ex-driving school car, the protective film on the roof to protect the paint has become discoloured and is now white and very visable, it is also starting to crack. I have tried methylated spirits but that hasn't worked and am concern that I may damage the paint. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Asked on 9 November 2010 by bs hampshire

I don't completely understand this. If you are referring to a polythene wrap applied by the driving school, then a bodyshop can probably remove it for you. If you mean the lacquer coating over the paint, then the only option is a repaint. A roof alone will probably cost you about £200.