I received a parking charge notice at a services for overstaying - but I didn't realise there was a time limit?

I recently received a parking charge notice from Parking Eye for 21 minutes over their two hour time. I didn't realise there was a time limit. Do I need to pay?

Asked on 28 September 2018 by CO

I'm sympathetic. Motorway service areas are supposed to be 'places of refuge'. Unfortunately, under the Supreme Court ruling in Beavis v Parking Eye 4-11-2015, parking operators are entitled to impose "reasonable" penalties for breaches of their terms and conditions, so best to pay the £60. There is a private members bill afoot to change this, second reading to widespread cross-party support in February 2018, but parliament has more on its mind at the moment.