Is it right that my new car should need the air conditioning serviced after just 18 months?

My BMW dealer has told me that the air conditioning on my 318d will require servicing in October by which time the car will only be 18 months old. I presume this means checking the gas level and replacing certain filters. However, this seems very early to need this to be done - is this usual? I anticipate that by October the car will have covered no more than 12,000 miles.

Asked on 28 June 2018 by Graham Horne

The problem is that after an EC Directive most new car a/c systems are filled with an expensive new gas called R1234YF that is flammable and more prone to leaking than the much cheaper R134a that car a/c systems used to be filled with.