Flashing headlights - islandman
It is usually accepted that if another driver flashes his headlights he is giving way to you (except on a motorway where it is usually a signal to 'move over')
However The following comes from the highway code:-

90: Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users.

91: If another driver flashes his headlights never assume that it is a signal to go. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

Practice seems to have developed this signal to be interpreted in almost the opposite of what the HC states. I wonder therefore how you would stand should there be a 'prang'. I suppose stating 'he flashed his lights so I thought it ok to proceed' would be useless. Does anyone actually flash as an warning 'I'm here and I'm coming though'? - except on motorways of course!
Flashing headlights - patently
So of the two, only the "kindly move aside" flash is actually correct...! So the BMW drivers of the world are right, for once ;-)

I suspect that in the other situation, you would get no sympathy. It is your duty to ensure that it is safe to pull out. Are you certain that the flash is for you?
Flashing headlights - No FM2R
It doesn't matter if he sends you a written invitation to pull out, if you pull out in front and cause an accident it is your fault. His actions may or may not reduce any subsequent injury/damages payout he receives, but he'll still be paid something and it will still be seen as your fault, whatever level of contributory negligence is laid at his door.

As I recall a truck and a coach collided on the A34 a few years ago where one assumed he had been flashed out of a layby and the other had intended to warn of his approach. It was laid at the door of the guy who pulled out.
Flashing headlights - daveyjp
Only time I flash is on motorways when a wagon is signalling to pull out and I know I will be pulling in to the outside lane, or on the odd occasion when a wagon is overtaking and needs to move back in. At all other times its a no-no for me, as is proceeding when someone flashes. Often drivers flash to other drivers who wish to turn right across their paths, but I may be waiting to turn left in front of the driver who is flashing their lights - who is the driver flashing at?
Flashing headlights - Cliff Pope
So the riskiest thing of all you could do is flash simply to make someone aware of your presence, as per HC, because that might cause someone to do the very think you are trying to warn against, eg pull out in front.
It rather devalues the point of ever flashing.
Flashing headlights - smokie
Flashing is also used to say Thank You for letting people through a gap on a narrow residential street, especially at night. IAM told me not to do this, so how do I "be courteous" and thank them?
Flashing headlights - Mapmaker
smokie: how do i thank them?

IAM is right. Better to be seen as rude than to risk an accident. Alternatively, what about a flash of the hazard warning lights?

Flashing headlights - $till $kint
Or do as I do and switch to sidelights momentarily, then back to dipped main. Less dazzling, and very obvious what the intention is. Almost the automotive version of a bow or a curtsey.
Flashing headlights - mare
Flashing is also used to say Thank You for letting people
through a gap on a narrow residential street, especially at night.
IAM told me not to do this, so how do I
"be courteous" and thank them?

Wave?
Flashing headlights - runboy
And with more cars coming with auto-headlights, there is a chance the car may switch on the lights when going through a dark patch or become confused, then switch them off again!

One of those chance things that can happen!
Flashing headlights - Clanger
And with more cars coming with auto-headlights, there is a chance
the car may switch on the lights when going through a
dark patch or become confused, then switch them off again!
One of those chance things that can happen!

Got the T-shirt ...
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27792&...e

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Flashing headlights - Bill Payer
The ex-Police driving instructors that we use at work tell us to flash as we begin overtakes (typically on single carrigeway A roads), but I always feel it invites the driver in front to pull out.

I've had the auto-lights flashing on and off thing - I was following a colleague around the Leeds inner ring road (the bit that's cut into the middle of Leeds) and apparantly every time we went under another road my lights came on and then went off again.

I've also heard that some cars with Xenon lights emit a flash as they come on (Saab's are noted for this) that can be taken as a headlamp flash.

I always notice how awkward it feels driving in the US and not flashing headlights - it's meaningless there, and many cars simply don't have that function on the stalk.

It is ironic, that, as was pointed out earlier, the very time you might need to flash correctly is probably the very worst time to do it.
Flashing headlights - grn
I was always taught to flash the headlamps before an overtake and I've never had any problem and I'm sure people see you who otherwise wouldn't. The caveat was always flash then wait - check for reaction. I think if you were already out on the offside and flashed that could be mis-construed as an "invite" if they were brave, but not when you are directly behind, having the indicator on as well.

As for the headlamp on/off you must have an auto setting like mine where the sensors detect low light and switch them on automatically - now that I agree could happen just at the very time you don't want it to. I normally have mine on manual for that very reason.

Having come back from Canada - what a contrast in driving habits - no hassle, no pressure and they are considerate to the point of being embarassing ...no really after you...etc. Mind you - don't rate their 3-way and 4-way crossings...roundabouts are much better. Anyway, on that basis, very little need to flash anyone ever.

Another good trick over there is flashing amber lights ahead of traffic lights that will change imminently. Clever stuff :-)
Flashing headlights - Olaf the Blue
Lets face it,unless the guy is in a BMW in the offside lane of a motorway and in your boot, a flash of headlights is pretty much universally interpreted in the UK to mean "As far as I'm concerned you can proceed." It's no guarantee of safe passage, that's down to the driver being flashed to check for himself so in the event of an accident there is no defence in saying "He flashed me out." In essence, its about reading the situation and interpreting the flasher's intention in the light of what you can see. It's about trying to be as co-operative as you can to your fellow motorists and let's face it, we need co-operation from our own because we're not going to get it from anyone else.
The other day I flashed a Police car out of a side turning and got a thumbs up as a 'Thanks' Quite a heart warming moment!
The other day I flashed a Police car out of a
side turning and got a thumbs up as a 'Thanks' Quite
a heart warming moment!

But that's exactly the kind of situation that can be misinterpreted.
You see the headlights of someone about to emerge from a drive or sideturning, and give a flash "to warn the other driver of your presence" ie Don't pull out.
But he sees it as an invitation to do just that. So you have created the very situation you were trying to avoid, just by obeying the Highway Code.
Flashing headlights - henry k
Only time I flash is on motorways when a wagon is signalling to pull out and I know I will be pulling in to the outside lane,

>>
This is as per HC. You are telling him you are there. He can then watch you move out a lane before he starts his move.
or on the odd occasion when a wagon is overtaking and needs to move back in.

>>
Again as per HC, you are reminding him you are there and please do not take my front wing off.
When I was using the motorways in a seriously struggling old UNO I always got a polite left/right indicator flash from the wagon when it had moved in.
I felt more relaxed as I believed we were both fully aware of each other,were sharing the space and clearing the next lane out for others.

Flashing headlights - Doc
Wouldn't it be great if everyone followed the HC instead of inventing their own signals!
Then everyone would be clear of others intentions.

Rule 90: Flashing headlights: Only flash your headlights to let other
road users know that you are there.

In other words, the same meaning as the horn, but for use where the horn is not appropriate.

Flashing headlights - martint123
With both horn and light flash - don't forget, most of the time many more than the intended recipient gets the signal.

Flashing headlights - Olaf the Blue
There is no mention in the HC of how to indicate to another road user that you are giving way to him/her. This is presumably why, when headlamp flashers became available on cars, they were unofficially adopted for this purpose. Waving someone out works if the other person can see you clearly but you have to be on top of them for this to be so. I am aware of the dangers in using flashing headlight signals but in practical terms its the only thing that works in modern day traffic conditions. If no one did it, I reckon most towns and cities would come to a standstill.
Waving someone out works
if the other person can see you clearly but you have
to be on top of them for this to be so.

>>

Isn't there a warning never to act on someone's wave, but to form your own judgement?
So a wave has no more force than a flash, "I am here".
Flashing headlights - Pugugly {P}
As an occasional occuppier of lane 2 (in a BMW) I tend to use the continental,and to be applauded, method of using an offside indicator to wake up a dawdling "sleeper" in the same lane. Far less confrintational than flashed mains, far more likely to provoke the right reaction
Flashing headlights - L'escargot
Flashing is also a sign of recognition or greeting. I flashed my next door but two neighbour the other day when he was coming towards me on his bike and he nearly fell off when he turned round to try to work out who I was! Next time I'll just wave.
--
L\'escargot.
Flashing headlights - patpending
Well, how about this:

90: Flashing headlights... Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users.

I believe the above situation (flashing to overtake) will get the "flasher" in trouble nowadays in Germany, serious enough (fine? licence points?) to mean the custom has just about died out.

It's the same with the left indicator when in the outside lane, no longer used much, I suspect the repercussions could be major.

This is why cars like the new Audis have grilles like drain covers, shouting "Get out of my way, peasant!".

I must say I find flashing headlights very aggressive on motorways etc.

I have never ever heard of flashing before overtaking, but I fear it would be interpreted as "get out of my way, you stupid peasant, you're going far too slowly!" and could prompt slower cars to pull out on purpose.

Better to calm down and take things easy for a bit methinks...

pat