VW PASSAT SE TDI 2003 - Radio won't stay tuned, CD player fine - Smudgit

My car radio wouldn't stay tuned. I replaced the mast, which didn't help. Then replaced the radio with the same model (bought off ebay) and still have the same problem. Someone suggested it might be the antenna wire in the car that has corroded and would be a big job to repair. Anyone had similar problems or solutions? Thanks!

Edited by Smudgit on 04/03/2013 at 16:32

VW PASSAT SE TDI 2003 - Radio won't stay tuned, CD player fine - elekie&a/c doctor

Try a donor aerial plugged into the coax socket in the back of radio.If reception is good,then the fault is in the car coax lead or roof aerial base.

VW PASSAT SE TDI 2003 - Radio won't stay tuned, CD player fine - Collos25

But does not this model have an areal amplifier hidden away ?

When you say it wont stay tuned do you mean it loses the preset stations ,this normally is a loss of the permanant 12v supply,or do you mean the signal is weak which I would think is the areal lead or amplifier at fault.

Edited by Collos25 on 06/03/2013 at 09:46

But does not this model have an areal amplifier hidden away ?

When you say it wont stay tuned do you mean it loses the preset stations ,this normally is a loss of the permanant 12v supply,or do you mean the signal is weak which I would think is the areal lead or amplifier at fault.

No, it doesn't lose the preset stations. It drifts in and out of signal, sometimes it's better than others, depending on the weather, which leads me to believe it's the aerial

VW PASSAT SE TDI 2003 - Radio won't stay tuned, CD player fine - Collos25

Check to see if it has an aerial amp somewhere normally in the door pillar its either that or the aerial itself or of course it could be faulty wiring.

VW PASSAT SE TDI 2003 - Radio won't stay tuned, CD player fine - Peter D

Post this on www.VWAudiforum.co.uk and someone will provide you with a diagram of where the connector and ampliers are. Regards Peter

Post this on www.VWAudiforum.co.uk and someone will provide you with a diagram of where the connector and ampliers are. Regards Peter

Cheers! Have done this