MOT Question - BMDUBYA
Apologies if this is in the wrong area. I have checked UKmot web site for the checks involved in an MOT regarding spare wheels and found this..Note:
The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT.

Does this mean that you dont actually have to have one?

Thanks in advance.
MOT Question - Mike H
My understanding is that you do not have to have a spare tyre. However, if you do, it had to be legal. Can't remember where i got this story from but it was a few years ago. Makes sense, because if it wasn't legal there would be no point having it as it couldn't be used.........
MOT Question - Dave N
Mike H is correct, there is no requirement for a spare. Just like lights, you don't have to have them, but if you do they must work.
MOT Question - Dynamic Dave
because if it wasn't legal there would be no point having it
as it couldn't be used.........

Which begs the question to as whether space saver tyres are actually legal or not.
MOT Question - DeeJay
Space-saver tyres are legal but oddly a car presented for MOT with one fitted would be failed because it would be classed as an odd size , unmatched tyre . Just one of the MOT's many anomalies . DeeJay .
MOT Question - John S
No, you don't have to carry a spare tyre. If you carry a tyre in the boot it only has to be be legal if it's used on the road, which is why it's not checked for the MOT. You can carry what you like in the boot - otherwise it would be illegal to carry a damaged tyre to the tyre centre to get it replaced.

Lights are a different matter. Whereas you can stop with a puncture and call the AA rather than fitting your illegal spare, you can't avoid it getting dark at night or needing lights because it's become foggy.

Regards

John S
MOT Question - Andrew-T
I'm pretty certain I have been 'advised' in previous MoTs of an illegal spare, but that of course was not a Failure.
MOT Question - chevy
I had to call AA out to a puncture, after discovering that the car I had recently bought did not have a spare. They refused to come out because I did not have a spare.
When pressed for reason, the answer was punctures are not covered in the service but if I had a spare wheel they would have came out and fit it for me.
MOT Question - Galaxy
Lucky you haven't got a Smart Car then.

The front and rear wheels are different sizes so no spare wheel is supplied. A puncture means a vehicle recovery job!

MOT Question - DeeJay
The spare tyre is not a testable item , therefore there is no obligation to carry one . However the security of an externally mounted spare is testable and an insecure spare wheel may attract a failure . Dave N is not quite correct in that not all extra lights fitted are testable so their non-operation does not necessarily mean a failure .( Brake lights are the exception ).DeeJay.