Car insurance for frenchmen? - Penny
My husband is french and although he is insured to drive here our insurance is up for renewal so I have been searching for quotes. All the online sites I have tried will only accept uk full or provisional licences. Does anyone know of companies that will quote online for EC licences?
TIA
Car insurance for frenchmen? - Hugo {P}
Penny

I suggest you do an internet search for "Motor Insurance for Foreign Nationals".

I found my van insurance this way. I got a £1000 quote to £360.

Good luck!

Hugo
Car insurance for frenchmen? - Mark (RLBS)
There is a world of difference in risk between insuring a Frenchman and, say, an American. Also, it depends why they are here, how long they will be here and many more factors.

I suggest that you forget relying on internet websites, you really need to ring around. The websites are for quoting "standard" risks and a foreign international isn't one.

As a matter of interest, Norwich Union were best for my wife about 6 months ago.
Car insurance for frenchmen? - DavidHM
Penny... If he is living here permanently, or indeed for more than 3 months, shouldn't he have a UK licence anyway? I'm not sure what the situation is if your UK property is your second home, but if you are here on a long term basis, he'll need to get himself a UK licence to be legal.
Car insurance for frenchmen? - Mark (RLBS)
For non-EC members its 12 months. I have no idea if its different for people from EC countries.
Car insurance for frenchmen? - martint123
For the license:-
www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm#2.%20European%...y

quote Residents

If you have a valid Community licence, this will authorise you to drive in this country for the periods set out below. Alternatively, you can apply to exchange your licence for a British one at any time.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB -

Ordinary licence holders
Until aged 70 or for 3 years after becoming resident whichever is the longer period.

Vocational licence holders
Until aged 45 or for 5 years after becoming resident whichever is the longer period.

If you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for 5 years after becoming resident whichever is the shorter period.

If you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident.

In order to continue driving after these periods, a British driving licence must be obtained.

Car insurance for frenchmen? - DavidHM
Interesting Mark. I stand corrected but I was only quoting what I was told when living in France. Not having a car then, I decided not to bother changing mine though.
Car insurance for frenchmen? - Kevin
Penny,

I'll ask at work which broker they recommend for their people.

It's a European diplomatic site (based in the UK), so I'm sure they'll have been asked this question before.

Kevin...
Car insurance for frenchmen? - Rebecca {P}
I can't remember off hand who insured us when my (French) husband first came here, but I do remember that I was expecting it to be a huge hassle, but it wasn't at all. It didn't affect the premium either. They didn't have online quotes then (early 90's) but all the main 'call centre' insurance companies quoted with no problem. Perhaps they still do?
Car insurance for frenchmen? - Kevin
Penny,

try Frizzell, who are the brokers recommended to all new staff at the customer I work with.

The comments I received were that they are fairly competetive for most cars (not so good for exotics or classics), and very easy to deal with.

Kevin...