Eyesight requirements for driving - mikepencoed

Have just seen this in MailOnline. Is it correct

By Ray Massey
UPDATED: 09:49, 4 February 2011

The minimum distance from which motorists must be able to read a car number plate to pass their eyesight test for driving is to shrink, under new rules announced today by ministers.

It will mean that to gain or retain a driving licence, a motorist will have to read a car's number-plate from just 57ft and five inches (17.5 metres).

And it is more than 15ft closer - a car's length - than when the eyesight test was first introduced in 1937 at a distance of 75ft (23m).

Drivers who normally use spectacles can, as now, wear them for the test.

The change is part of wider changes to the rules on drivers' medical standards on eyesight, epilepsy and diabetes in the wake of an EU directive. They were announced for consultation by Transport Minister Mike Penning.

Ministers said they had taken advice on the proposed changes from the Government's 'Honorary Medical Panels' for eyesight, diabetes, and neurology and have put them out for consultation until April 28

Eyesight requirements for driving - RT

The current eyesight test standard is woefully low as it is - lowering it even further is just plain crazy.

My wife has suffered from Uveitis in both eyes, requiring frequent follow-up visits to a "Regional Centre of Excellence" in our case the Midlands and Birmingham Eye Centre - the condition causes pressure in the eyes which damages the optic nerve and reducing the field of vision. She hasn't driven since the onset of this condition as she knows full well that her eyesight simply isn't good enough to drive safely.

She had an appointment this week with the Professor of Opthalmology so I took the opportunity of asking how much her eyesight would need to improve to meet the legal requirement for driving - he checked her test results and replied "It's still twice as GOOD as the driving eyesight test requires".

This is the EU gone mad.

Eyesight requirements for driving - Bromptonaut

Link to the consultation is here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/pressoffice/pressreleases/archive2011/03022011.aspx

It opened in Feb 2011 and closed in April same year. As far as eyesight was concerned it proposed a change from 20m to 17.5 (65 feet to 58f eet). As well as eyesight it covered diabetes and epilepsy. I can find a report of the outcome on diabetes but at that stage further input was still being examined on eyesight and epilepsy.

Cannot find any subsequent follow up.

Two and a half metres is not a massive change in itself and may follow changes to plate fonts. I can actually meet it without my glasses but I'd not dream of driving without.

The scandal is that there's not a more extensive test of peripheral vision and perception of distance.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/02/2013 at 13:34

Eyesight requirements for driving - tony g
Eye sight requirements can be a real problem.

My wife has an hereditary problem called retinita pigmentosa ,it's never affected her ability to drive up to about 10 years ago.

As part of a routine eye test , she took a test called a fields vision test which she failed . We then found out that if you can't pass the fields test ,you cannot legally drive . She hasn't driven since .

RP is sometimes wrongly described as tunnel vision ,it's actually an inability to see individual small points within your field of vision .My wife had driven with the condition for more than 40 years without any problem .

So the point I make is ,if your optician offers you the fields vision test and you fail it ,you cannot drive .Your not obliged to take it so give it serious consideration before you take the test .
Eyesight requirements for driving - RT
So the point I make is ,if your optician offers you the fields vision test and you fail it ,you cannot drive .Your not obliged to take it so give it serious consideration before you take the test .

Whilst I understand the risk of licence loss - it's actually more important for your own health as well as everyone's safety on the road to take a vision field test when offered

Eyesight requirements for driving - Dwight Van Driver

New Regs in force 8th March 2013

Here it is

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/258/made

dvd
Eyesight requirements for driving - dacouch

I've read reports of people being prosecuted for driving wiithout their glasses as their licence stipulates they're required even though the people only needed them for reading.

Apparantly the DVLA routinely endorse licences to state the driver must wear glasses if the photograph the driver sends in for their licence shows them wearing glasses.

If you're driving licence photo shows you wearing glasses, check your licence.

Eyesight requirements for driving - Bromptonaut

I've read reports of people being prosecuted for driving wiithout their glasses as their licence stipulates they're required even though the people only needed them for reading.

Apparantly the DVLA routinely endorse licences to state the driver must wear glasses if the photograph the driver sends in for their licence shows them wearing glasses.

If you're driving licence photo shows you wearing glasses, check your licence.

More likley it's because they answered the 'do you need glasses' question on the DL application form in the affirmative. IIRC there's a digit in your driver number that indicates this.

I was diagnosed with short sight at age 11 and have worn specs for the saubsequent 42 years. My DL application in 1976 acknowledged that fact.

When I get a photo licence it will likley contain my passport photo which, as required, is glasses off.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/02/2013 at 20:27

Eyesight requirements for driving - focussed

The actual licence coded requirements are here:-

www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

If you need eyesight correction to meet he requirements for driving, your licence will be coded 01.

Eyesight requirements for driving - dacouch

forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=76585&m...r

Eyesight requirements for driving - TeeCee

I remember my driving test:

"Could you just read out the number plate of the yellow car over there?"

"Yes, it's (number)."

"I'm sorry, that's wrong."

"No, I am sure. Which yellow car do you mean?"

"That Citroen over there."

"Ah, now that's (number)."

"Ok, that's correct, which one were you looking at?"

"The Golf a bit further down."

"Ah yes. There is another yellow car over that way.........I suppose it could be a Golf...."

Eyesight requirements for driving - focussed

During my time as an instructor presenting hundreds of pupils pupils for practical driving tests I have only ever seen one test candidate fail the eyesight test, not one of mine, I hasten to add.

If the candidiate fails to correctly read a car number plate made after 1st September 2001 from 20 metres in good daylight the examiner will usually enquire if the candidate could write down the number even if they can't say it, (dyslexia) If they can't do that the examiner will call out the chief examiner or test centre manager with a tape measure, set out the accurate correct distance and ask the candidate to repeat the test. If they still can't read it the test will not go ahead and the fee will be forfeit. Driving examiners in my experience are usually very fair about the eyesight test.

I don't see any need to alter the distance - with this reduction we seem to be getting to the stage where Mr Magoo would stand a chance of passing.