Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - tucka20

Hi, just wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice with regards to whether I should sell. Some background information first.

Passed my test in June 2010 and went through two cars, both developed costly issues so changed (VW Polo and Citroen C4)

Bought a 2008 (58) Toyota Prius T-Spirit in February 2012 for £9000, 30000 miles. Im working through university at the moment and said that this car would keep for a few years. Easily a lot more money than I paid for the other 2, so obviously changing so soon would be costly.

Recently (last month or so) I have had a pain in my lower back, extending down my right leg. This causes some mobility issues and also causes pins and needles in my right leg, especially in my foot. This usually (but not exclusively) happens after driving for more than 30 mins.

I have recently read on a Prius forum that others have had this problem due to uncomfortable seats, and there is no real resolution.

Do you think it is worth me trading in my car for something different? It has done 44000 mile now (I do a lot of camping) and getting part ex values of around £6700 on £10000 cars, yet the cars are still selling for £9000 with similar mileage and age to mine on autotrader, and a lot more at Toyota dealers.

Was thinking of getting something like an Insignia that is designed for long term driving with lumbar support, but not sure if I will have much less pain.

My family think I like to change my car for fun so this is one of the issues putting me off too.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - Avant

It may be worth looking at special backrests / cushions etc before going to the trouble ansd expense of changing your car. You should ask a doctor's opinion if you haven't already, and you may get yourself referred to a consultant.

If the only way forward is to change cars, Volvos have a good name for supportive seats, and are less likely to have reliability issues than Vauxhalls.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - Happy Blue!

There are many reasons why your back is in pain. The car is not necessarily the answer. It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to change.

Firstly try a different driving position, with a less upright back. Try a shallow cushion in the lumbar position, or a 'Backfriend'. All of these will cost you between £0 and £100 and much less than the loss on your car.

Students Eh! When I was a student I drove clapped out bangers not super efficient hybrids.

That's what working 30 hours a week helps towards, as well as not moving away so no overpriced living costs :)

Have tried one of them £1 back support things to no avail, may try a little cushion to see if that can help. Would this be best to sit on or to put behind me?

Oh, and I love the car and certainly not looking for an excuse to change, love the car. Certainly not an ecowarrior, but love the technology and the fact that I can use the reverse camera to get into the tiniest spots at the side of the road where friends with Fiestas can't get in.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - tony g
Hi.
You could try selling your car privately ,but its never easy as people would usually have a part exchange and could need finance on a car of that value .

Alternatively you could try renting cars that you think could be suitable for a day at a time .Before you part with your Toyota .That way you could try before you commit to buying .

Renting is a good idea, however I am too young to rent at most companies apart from paying stupid excess fees. I agree test driving a car doesn't give you the feel I require.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - MGspannerman
Well I am sorry happy blue but you are wrong. The Prius is very well known for its uncomfortable seats, i speak from considerable and painful experience. Ascribing inappropriate motives to the OP is hardly helpful. I have now covered nearly 70k miles in my mk 2 and it has never been comfortable. I can travel for about 2 hrs and then shoulder and neck pain sets in. I recently had to travel 600 miles over a weekend spending up to 4 hours stuck in the car. I had to book a session with the physio to ease the pain after painkillers failed.

My suggestion is to set the seat back as upright as you can sensibly bear it and raise the steering wheel to its highest position. Try moving the seat a little more forward as well. I took this advice from a website I eventually found in the USA. At first it felt strangely uncomfortable but is now noticeably less uncomfortable. Not perfect but better.

My car is getting on for 100k now and will be going in the middle of the year at the latest when the insurance is up and by which time we expect to have moved house and can review our needs. With regard to trading the car you are finding out the reality of the motor trade. If the car has a full main dealer service history then a very well presented eBay pitch could be your bet bet, but expect to take a hit whatever you do.

How about for raising the seat? Do you think the seat is best low down or high up?

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - Avant

We were assuming that you'd tried that before resorting to selling the car!

The angle of the backrest makes a difference too: some people with back pain find it helps to have the backrest quite upright. But you need to try the various permutations available.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - John Boy

A quick Google search shows there's a lot of people complaining about the seating in these cars. If I was one of them I'd be looking for simple solutions first. Another Google search led to a few ideas given below.

www.wikihow.com/Sit-in-a-Car-Without-Back-Pain

sundialclinics.co.uk/conditions/backpain/back-pain.../

ezinearticles.com/?Driving-And-Back-Pain---Is-Your...5

www.yogaback.com/The_YogaBack_for_Driving/25tips.h...l

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - Auristocrat

"The Prius is very well known for its uncomfortable seats"

The Toyota Owners Club hybrid/Prius forum doesn't back up this claim.

To date, out of 2285 topics raised within this forum, and out of 21,293 replies, there are four replies from Prius owners who have found the seats uncomfortable - two of which didn't have back pain caused by the Prius seats, but posterior aching after long journeys.

In fact one forum member swapped from an Avensis to a Prius because the Avensis seats were causing back pain. The Prius seats didn't.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - unthrottled

In fact one forum member swapped from an Avensis to a Prius because the Avensis seats were causing back pain. The Prius seats didn't.

Changing the seat might be the most cost effective (if least aesthetically pleasing!) option. Maybe try a scrappy for an interchangable seat?

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - Collos25

I had a Prius Spirit not for long as it was the most boring car I had ever driven but its one saving grace was that the seats were really comfortable on a long journey.

Edited by Collos25 on 14/02/2013 at 07:24

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - thunderbird

Problem with back isssue is a test drive is never long enough to prove if the seats are really OK, its down to luck IMHO. I have a lower back issue and I always make sure seats have adjustable lumber before buying. Wife had a Puma with sporty looking seats, I could not travel more than 80 miles without severe pain. We had a C-Max, seats were as uninviting as you could imagine but after 420 miles no problems at all. When i bought my BMW I paid £250 for adjustable lumber for the M Sport seats but I have never needed to adjust it even after 500 miles in the day.

Never tried one of those back supports but it has to be worth a punt, much cheaper than a new car.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - Snakey

I've changed a couple of cars in the past due to backache and I've found none of these cushions/supports/covers have any useful effect whatsoever.

In fact, I've found they make things worse as they put you in a position that doesn't fit the original seat, so you might alleviate your back ache, but then your hip/knee/thigh starts to ache because of the position you're now in!

Most comfy seats in cars I've had have been Renault Megane, Jaguar X Type and Vauxhall Vectra. Worst have been the Toyota Avensis and Ford Focus.

"The Prius is very well known for its uncomfortable seats"

The Toyota Owners Club hybrid/Prius forum doesn't back up this claim.

Auristocrat - I have the perfect car for you! At a bargain price too. Maybe the forum does/does not back the claim, it has been discussed there from time to time to my certain knowledge as I was one of the participants. There is significant discussion elsewhere on the matter. In any event there are least two participants to this debate who acknowledge the problem.

We are all different and what Is comfortable for some may not be for others. I am very tall and feel that is a significant factor, and there are aspects of the seat design that are evident as problematic as well.

With regard to the OP query on seat height, personally I try to set the seat to minimise the degree of "stretch" between my shoulders and the wheel this means I have the seat relatively low. I also think the steering wheel I set too low anyway. I am thinking that my next car will have a more upright seating position, and I will definitely try the car for several hours rather than the 20/30 mins runs the houses test drive that I had when I bought the Prius

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - gordonbennet

A search on the appropriatye Prius forums should tell you which one to go for....several owners have swapped the front seats for those from a completely different car which apparently fit straight in.

I can't recall what seats were mentioned.

Seems a pity to have to buy inferior unreliable cars again when an inexpensive fix means you can keep this quality car indefinately.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - jamie745

I seem to recall reading somewhere some American Prius owners have put Volvo seats into their car.

Yes, you are correct. It may be an urban myth but it is said that the S80 seats fit well. I did consider this myself, it then there are issues of insurance and airbags. No doubt some link to the dreaded ECU which would throw a wobbly if the wires weren't correctly connected. Easier to sell the xxxxxx thing!
Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - Auristocrat

My issue was your labelling a complete range of cars as having uncomfortable seats.

Some people may well have issues with seats in some cars. Others not.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - jamie745

If they were that uncomfortable they wouldn't sell like hot cakes in California.

Toyota Prius - Car Selling Dilemma. Need Advice - focussed

I had the same problem, same pain, same place, with a Volvo 360 GLT that was a firm's car and I was doing a lot of miles in it.

After a lot of trial and error the solution I came up with was to remove the driver's seat from the vehicle, remove the seat base and add another thick layer of foam rubber underneath the existing padding to support the back of my leg better. Worked straight away - try it.