Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - barney100

In the 70's I needed a second car to get to work and paid £300 cash for a Simca 1100. It gave good service and was quite reliable and comfortable although a few of my Army mates had a good mickey take. kept it for a couple of years and got my money back in px.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - Avant

'Bangernomics' has a lot of logic going for it. You may get a good one, like Barney's Simca (I remember those engines - they made a tappety noise louder than a diesel, but didn't often fail). You may on the other hand buy a whole heap of trouble. It's a gamble - but if you're only gambling a few hundred pounds, and accept that the scrapheap beckons when something major goes wrong, it can be a gamble that makes sense.

My first car was a much-loved 1955 Austin A50, which I bought for £65 in 1969 and sold for £65 a year later: not much that I can remember in the way of repairs, and it started first time every time and never let me down.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - AndyT

My Dad had a Simca 1100 van in the early '80s'. I adjusted the tappets nicely, and it ran like a sewing machine. It got borrowed to take my TZ Yamaha to the short circuit meetings, until one day the idle speed started getting faster, and faster,,,The inner guards had rusted through, letting the engine tilt and pull on the throttle cable, and that was the end of that.

Had to tow it home with my ageing Mini Clubman, which had it's own inner guard problems, and a cool crab stance when viewed driving from behind.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - focussed

My contribution to this thread might take some time:-

In the early 1970's I needed a runabout car to get me to work while I rebuilt another car.

I bought an extremely old 850 mini that had had a hard life for £30 - a runner , just about.

It rattled and burnt oil badly - but couldn't afford anything else at the time, mortgage, wife at home, baby etc etc.

Got to the point where it was burning 2 pints of Duckhams Q20-50 a week going to work and back , about 150 miles a week.

Over one weekend, engine and box out, shoveled the oil out of the bottom of the sump (it was that bad). washed it out with paraffin. Measure up, bores knackered, crank the other side of knackered, something like 0.010" oval.

Round to a mates house who used to mess about with minis, found a crank in his shed that was rusty, but better than mine.

Back home, polished the crank up with crocus paper,size not too bad, the rust pits will hold the oil!

Down the local autoshop, set of Cords rings, set of mains and bigs, cheap gasket and seal kit,gallon of Q20-50.

Recon the oil pump by facing the end of the housing and the cover with a file and emery.

Slapped it all together, got it all working, ran quite well considering it's history!

Ran it all that winter, put a set of the cheapest remoulds I could find on it.

Got the other car back on the road, by this time OH had passed her test, so she had the mini which by now acquired the nickname of "The Black Pig" as the last owner had sprayed it black, but had done it in sub-zero temperatures so it had gone a sort of crazed matt finish.

It reliably ran her about for another year after that, and then I sold it to a bloke I used to go to school with for £150 - result, that's bangernomics in action!

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - Andrew-T

... then I sold it to a bloke I used to go to school with for £150 - result, that's bangernomics in action!

The early 70s were the time of high inflation, when you could get your money back. I bought a Maxi from a friend for £735, ran it for 2 years and sold for £795.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - The Gingerous One

I vaguely remember a friend having a Simca not long after I passed my test so circa 1990/1/2. I also remember the noise, so that must have been the tappets....

And I also remember seeing it in the scrapyard a bit later on as looked for bits for my Austin Allegro.

Ironically, all those cars were a lot younger than the Volvo I have now. I doubt if my friends' Simca was older than '76 or thereabouts, so would have been ~15 yrs old.

The All-aggro was 'only' 15 yrs old when it was scrapped in the mid 90s, yet the wonderful Volvo 440 I currently possess was just rolling off the production line then.....

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - KenC

In the early 1980,s When You could only borrow 1.5 of your yearly Income for a morgage I recall struggling to pay my £20,000 morgage at 15% interest.

I needed a cheap car to get me to/from work, I bought a 2 door Vauxhall Viva 1256cc G reg (1968 I believe ) for £260.

I ran it for 2 years during which time I replaced the rear shock absorbers ( myself) for £20,replaced one light bulb and adjusted the handbrake. Lovely old car did 33/36 mpg reliable and comfortable with a good size boot and a real spare tyre.

Sold after 2 years for £260...........what a bargain

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - Collos25

I took a Simca 1100 in part ex in 1972 I forget what for and it ran to my knowledge for another 5 years.I remember it being red, rear engined and lovely to drive everybody was mad on minis although the Simca in my opinion was a much better car.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - thunderbird

Bought a Mini for the wife off a trader that had been taken in PX. paid £800. Kept it for about 6 months, new starter motor £6, new battery £10. Part ex'd it against a newer Mini and got £1250.

Bought a Triumph Spitfire of a guy who desperately needed the money, only 2 weeks old and never been driven other than back from the dealer. Paid him £2600 which was £800 less than he had paid. Kept it 2 years and never spent a penny on it, sold it to a hairdresser for £2500. That was cheap motoring.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - Collos25

Thats the way to do it,

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - SteveLee

I bought a top of the range Opel Senator 3 litre auto out of the auction for £80 with an expired MOT. Electric, heated leather seats, cruise, climate control, switchable sports mode suspension - the works.

I bought it to sell it, but after getting it home I had a good look round and noted the new branded Vauxhall exhaust, new branded Vauxall radiator, new tyres all round. Then I found the service history in the glovebox, one private owner from new, I think it was an old duffer who met his maker so the wife chucked the car in the auction. It flew throught the MOT - "I'm keeping this" I thought and sold my trusty Xantia worth about £4K at the time instead, I drove that Senator for years, Nothing - absoutely nothing - went wrong with it. It was an immense mile muncher and suprisingly good down the 'lanes in "sports mode" - after a few years I hankered for a change and bought a(nother in my long association with) Jag - other than looks, the Senator was just as good (ride and comfort) and I got vastly more than I paid for the Senator back - I can't remember the exact amount but it was something in the region of a 400-600% profit after years (and roughly 50K miles) of trouble-free and enjoyable motoring. I've had cheaper cars (yes really!) but nothing that came close to being the bargain this car was, the guy that bought it off me only scrapped it about two years ago when the head gasket went at around 300K miles - after 10 years of good service.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - 1litregolfeater

My mate had a sporty rally Simca 1000, doubt it was 1100 as we were so young, I burnt him off on acceleration in my Bond 875 at every set of lights.

I think he was surprised how fantastic the Bond was.

His Simca got sent to the scrapyard with rot, my mum sold my Bond to some collector.

I remember being high in the hills above Glossop in the snow, nothing better than a single front wheel.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - TeeCee

Easy one.

A Skoda 130 Rapid, bought out of the "unloved tradeins" bit of a Renault dealership and having a massive 45,000 miles on the clock. They had great difficulty getting it to start and it ran like a dog, so I haggled them down to 500 quid. A session replacing various bits like plugs 'n points, ripping off the aftermarket "electronic ignition" pack and then tuning the thing properly sorted it nicely.

Ran it for four years.

Simple to work on, parts were ridiculously cheap and it was huge amounts of fun to drive as well. Insurance came to the princely sum of 200 quid a year, fully comp with business use(!)

They were often seen to be unreliable. The ignition ran at a fair overvoltage, presumably to give them a fighting chance of starting in the depths of a Czech winter on minimal maintenance. Third-party ignition components have a tendancy to burn out quite quickly under that treatment. If genuine PAL parts are used there are no ignition problems on these cars. I went through two coils, two sets of plugs and four condensers working that out!

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - SteveLee

I still regret - and will always regret not buying and keeping a Škoda Rapid 130 when they were plentiful - I've owned a few Estelles and loved em, I bought and sold a couple of Rapids coz there was always profit in them (bargain auction buy then turns up an enthusiast tp pay twice the auction price) for the sake of a few hundred quid - why didn't I keep one? Doh!

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - 1litregolfeater

The rear wheel Skodas were great fun to drive.They made the last ones prone to overheating through putting the radiator at the front and subsequent airlocks in the interests of progress.

Simca - Cheapest car that gave good service - TeeCee

Ah, overheating. There was a trick to fixing that too.

The heater was controlled with a brass rotary valve operated by a bowden cable on a "push to close" basis. This would clag up and cause the cable to bend rather than close it. Once that had happened, the tiny bypass hose between the heater pipes in the engine bay would silt up through disuse.

Eventually, come the hot weather, one would get cheesed off at the heater being warm and replace the valve. Catastrophic overheating would ensue if the bypass hose were not removed and cleaned out at the same time.

I found that the valve could be dismantled easily. Reassembling it after cleaning and smearing the components with vaseline when doing so made it last forever. The local Skoda fettling place were delighted when I told them, they'd been after a permanent fix for years as replacement valves were a rather pricey component.

If it was all looked after properly, the "engine in the back, radiator in the front" setup worked fine. I never had any problems with airlocks.