VW GOLF - MOT FAILS ( GOLF MK4 GT TDI) - bmw messed up

HELLO ALL

my mot has failed and problems are.

1) front brakes imbalnaced ( 3.7.A.2d)

2)parking brake efficency below requirements (3.7.A.10)

i don't understand how to fix these two? can any body tell me?

3) offside front brake pads

4) offside rear brake dics.

(3) and (4) i can try to fix it myself.

garage asked me 350quid to fix it. but i have time so i rather do it myself.

if someone got any vidoes and pictures how to do brakes, pads, discs and handbrake.

that would be really helpful

thanks

VW GOLF - MOT FAILS ( GOLF MK4 GT TDI) - countryroads

I suggest you invest in a Haynes Manual for this model, not expensive and you can learn alot from them. A brake job on a Mk4 is about as simple as it gets really. Bear in mind if you have one set of front pads worn more than the other and brakes imbalanced you may well have a stuck caliper, usually resetting the piston and greasing the slide pins will be enough, if its not you will need to replace it but they arent overly expensive.

A haynes will also tell you the correct procedure to adjust the handbrake too.

VW GOLF - MOT FAILS ( GOLF MK4 GT TDI) - Cyd

I would agree you should invest in a Haynes manual. This will also tell you you will need 14mm spline drivers to seperate the calipers from their carriers (or at least I did when i did a MK5 brakes recently).

If the rear discs are very poor condition, this could be the cause of the duff handbrake. Replace the discs and pads first. Don't adjust the handbrake on the old ones then change them!

Google it and you'll find loads of videos.

Edited by Cyd{P} on 07/02/2013 at 19:31

VW GOLF - MOT FAILS ( GOLF MK4 GT TDI) - countryroads

No spline sockets or anything like that, just a generic 7mm brake caliper tool or hex piece and if memory serves an 18mm socket for the caliper carrier for the front ones.

VW GOLF - MOT FAILS ( GOLF MK4 GT TDI) - bmw messed up

hey guys

i am going stip my car brakes on tuesday, as i did alot research and make notes of my steps. but only 1 thing worrying me, n that is,

shall i start with front brakes or rear brakes? which is more easy and wont take time?

with rear brakes, i have to fix the hand brake too.

also with hand brake, what shall i do? how to mk it tight?

last thing, in my mot, front brakes dics are okay but only have to change the pads

rear brakes, i have to change the dics, pads are fine.

VW GOLF - MOT FAILS ( GOLF MK4 GT TDI) - Chris M

Start with the fronts as you haven't got the handbrake to worry about.

If you are replacing discs you MUST replace the pads as well as the old ones will be worn to the profile of the old discs.

The handbrake problem may be the cable/s or the mechanism. The cable &/or mechanism could be seized, may just need adjusting, or could work fine once the discs and pads are changed. You won't know until you look.