Non-stick car - mal
Whilst washing a non-stick pan and noticing the water run off as if it had been waxed the thought came to me why not apply the finish to cars,imagine just having to hose the dirt off and never needing to wax it ever.
There must be a reason why this process has not been applied before... cost, durability, anybody know the why.
Mal.
Non-stick car - smokie
Yes sir, you can have any colour so long as it's black (or light grey!)
Non-stick car - mal
Yes Smokie but it would be good also for a fry-up on a hot day out in the country ;-).
Non-stick car - Shigg
I've seen a claim for car wax called Durashine that claims to be so slippery that when it rains it not only washes the dirt off but because it repells water you don't get water marks on the paint work. I believe JML direct is now selling it for £20. I fancy trying myself, not really because I'm lazy but a clean car stands out at this time of year and I've always found if your car is clean and tidy the Police usually leave you alone.

Steve.
Non-stick car - Dynamic Dave
Durashine. I believe JML direct is now selling it for £20.

I think you'll find it cheaper in your local Motorist centre. They're selling it for £15 down the road from me. Don't forget on top of that £20 JML will also charge p&p.
Non-stick car - Andrew-T
Shigg - How many claims like this have been made since car wax was invented? I can't imagine anything applied by hand being able to stand up to a car wash or the gooey-solvent action of Traffic Flim for very long. Though there are clearly finishes applied to auto glass which it seems impossible to remove.
Non-stick car - Shigg
DD, have you seen it in a 'chain' type store, I've kept an eye open for it but never seen it. Yep I'm aware of the pastage and poking most mail order companies inflict, it's a real rip off if you ask me. Usually used to disguise the real cost of an item.

AT, I don't fully believe anything until I've seen it with my own eyes, but I know some polishes are better than others when it comes to staying power, I tried some Audi/VW on my car when I first got it, it did really well, it lasted a couple of months before the beading effect started to weaken. With regard to Durashine if I had to wax my car every 2 months for a self cleaning effect I'd be happy. If I can find it in the shops at £20 or less I'll give it a go.

Steve.
DD, have you seen it in a 'chain' type store,

No idea if "Motorists Discount Centre" are a chain or not. There are two within a 5 mile radius of where I live though.
Non-stick car - Shigg
Thanks for that. If I can find some and the weather keeps fine I'll try some this weekend! Well after I've won the lottery of course!

Steve.
Shigg,

The place I saw durashine on sale, no longer stocks it. I asked today why, and was told it was a promotional thing from one of their reps, but it wasn't popular enough for them to consider selling it after the trial period was over.
Non-stick car - Shigg
Oh well thanks for the info. Maybe I'll have to shell out to a mail order place. If I do, I'll post my findings.

Steve.
Non-stick car - mal
Steve, Andrew-T's posting is the one to take notice of in this thread.
Use a good quality product such as "Autoglym", not one with fancy dubious claims of magical results which give a shine that will last ages with just one wipe-over.
Incidentally the durability of whatever wax or "magical" product you use depends a lot on where the car spends most of it's time i.e. it will last longer in the Devon countryside rather than beside the chemical works on Teeside.
Regards Mal.
Non-stick car - Andrew-T
Mal - you are too kind! I do use Autoglym, partly because the results are good and they last quite well, but not least because I don't have to work like h*ll to get those results.
Non-stick car - Keith S
Using the extra gloss protection after the super resin polish makes the car almost self cleaning. The muck just washes away soooo easily leaving a real sparkly finish.

Dunno how long it lasts as its the first time I have tried it
Non-stick car - JamesH
I remember seeing a TV advert for Durashine in the US when on holiday there in 1995 (I remember the strangest things). It seemed impressive, but those extended ads always do. I can never get the upholstery cleaner I bought off QVC to work in the same way they showed!

I appreciate that beading may not be all good. If I polish my car using the Turtle Wax Metallic that I have, the water beads. That means that once the car has been rained on, blobs of rainwater stay on the roof and bonnet. These then dry to dirty circles.

There are plenty of threads recommending the Auto Glym Super Resin and Extra Gloss so I have thought about giving them a try. Does the Auto Glym finish still look okay after being rained on?

Also, my polish makes such a mess. When buffing, the bits of dried polish end up over the plastic trim which is then awkward to remove. What is the AG like in this respect?

James

I remember seeing a TV advert for Durashine

Is that the one where the presenter points a laser beam at one of the audiences cars (A white Pontiac Grand Prix?) to prove that Durashine will give protection from the sun by simulating the same heat with the laser beam. You gotta laugh at some of these adverts. Had that been a real laser and not one of those toy hand held presentation pointers, none of the audience would have been allowed to stand around like that with their fake "wows" and "oohs" let alone getting away with not wearing any laser eye protection goggles.
Non-stick car - Martin Devon
Steve, Andrew-T's posting is the one to take notice of in
this thread.
Use a good quality product such as "Autoglym", not one with
fancy dubious claims of magical results which give a shine that
will last ages with just one wipe-over.
Incidentally the durability of whatever wax or "magical" product you use
depends a lot on where the car spends most of it's
time i.e. it will last longer in the Devon countryside rather
than beside the chemical works on Teeside.
Regards Mal.

Dear Mal, I challenge you to drive a Devon country lane where cows leave the farm, cross the road to spend the day munching grass or silage and then return for more milking etc etc etc. YOU try getting the *loody stuff off 2 hours later. Sticks like something to an old Army blanket in my exp'

Regards.
Non-stick car - Shigg
OK, I'm not gonna let this one pass, enough is enough.
How many of you have tried Durashine? Come on hands up!
You obviously assume I've not tried Autoglym, well I have, I've tried a full valet pack, seems good. However I've also tried WonderWax (from wonder wheels), Auri, Mer and several others. But just because I've tried them doesn't mean I'll always stick with them, that's how people get into ruts and say my dad always had a Ford and so will I. OK maybe I'm a sucker but I won't go to Italy and eat full english breakfasts, what's the point?
I know for a fact that several items on the 'sellervision' channels are very good, it can be a case that some products never get the break they deserve. Look at it this way if 15 years ago you'd heard of a vacuum cleaner with out bags that used a centrifugal action how many of you would have actually bought one? Or look at it this way when James Dyson went to the vacuum industry and said he had designs for a 'hoover' that would never need a bag, they turned him away, are you REALLY surprised? If most of your money was coming in selling 'hoover' bags to people would you really want a product that doesn't use them.
Finally (god I'm really labouring the point now!), suckers, sorry shoppers! Go into a large computer store and see special offers on printers, full colour A4, 600 dpi wotnot costing just £60 they buy them like they're going out of fashion. 1 month later they go back to the store and buy replacement cartridges costing £20 each! What did I do? I bought a £270 Panasonic laser printer 7 years ago and have only spent £12 on toner since then, oh yes just to rub it in, to get good results on inkjet printers the paper will cost you more again, my laser will use any crap and still look better and print faster. OK I don't have colour but do you really think that inkjets are that good anyway? Even now only HPs top of the range inkjets looks 'good' on plain paper but the running costs are probably about the same as a car! I know we've got one at work, but silly as I am I'll send my pictures over the network to the full colour Xerox laser copier/printer down in reprographics. What a sucker eh?
Basically I'm trying to say, don't judge books by their covers, if you don't try something you'll never know.

Rant over! (steps down from soap box - branded soap of course!)

Steve.
Non-stick car - Andrew-T
Steve - what we would all really like is one of those fabulously expensive cars that only needs fuel once a year!
Non-stick car - mal
"If only cars had a non stick finish"
Non-stick car - HF
This thread gives me totally off-topic and typically HF thoughts, of the Teflon adverts of a number of years ago.

At the time, we had the original Teflon man living in our road, he used to walk his dog up and down all the time, and his resemblence to the ad bloke was very uncanny. Now, he still walks about, but without dog (which is sad I know) but it's also a little bit eerie, he crops up wherever and whenever you chance to walk the streets of my town, be it close or far from his dwelling-place.
HF
Sorry for tosh post :(
Non-stick car - Shigg
I'll keep my eye out on 'sellervision' for a fueless car, but I don't think they'd convince me it's works though! Generally before I buy something I'll do as much research as I can on the internet, the owners opinions are a very good indicator of if somethings good or not.

Back to normal now - ranting over!

Steve.