NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - oldroverboy.

Two of swmbo's colleagues, (nurses) in their uniforms stopped and breathalysed just up the road from the local hospital leaving after work still in nurses uniforms.. Both breathalysed, and one of them told that friday at this time was a good time to catch people. So don't risk it. Pleease keep A&E empty if you can.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - MikeTorque

In 1982, nearly 6,000 people died on the roads, with 1,550 (or 26%) involved in reported drink-drive incidents.

In 2011, 1,901 died, of which 280 (15%) were killed as a direct result of drink-drive incidents.

That's 280 avoidable deaths, plus many more injured, and many thousands of other peoples lives directly affected as a result.

Simply message for motorists - don't travel in a car if the driver has been drinking alcohol, and that includes the whole of the next day for those who still have alcohol in their blood.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - jamie745

Considering car ownership has probably risen by 10 million or more since 1982, 1550 down to 280 is very good going. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

What annoys me is the drink-drive-deaths are included in the topline road death toll figure in the first place. That topline number is used by campaign groups to push whatever draconian measure they fancy that day and by Government to justify policy.

Where's the logic in using statistics of criminals to legislate for the law abiding majority?

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - Collos25

But DD is avoidable people caught should be banned for live and I am being soft.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - Dwight Van Driver

Part of the problem is that people think they can take a swallow and believe that they are under the limit that fluctuates with various factors.

To be absolutely safe there is only one dictum -

.............................................If you drive don't drink alckoolol huc.........................................

dvd

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - RT

But DD is avoidable people caught should be banned for live and I am being soft.

All driving errors are avoidable - DD isn't the only killer.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - geordie33
I agree with this-wish more attention was payed to idiots who play with their phones when driving-see this many times every day yet nothing is ever done.I do not advocate drink driving but stopping law abiding citizens going about their business on the off chance they may have committed a crime leaves me cold.Look at the fuss about stop and search in case they were carrying knives.No different in my view.
NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - thunderbird

Its well known that the Police have a purge on drink driving at certain times of year and Christmas/New Year is just one of them.

Only complete idiots drink and drive anyway but only even bigger idiots complain after they have been caught breaking the law.

In my humble opinion if a little inconvenience for a few people saves lives it is worth the inconvenience. I have been stopped several times for no good reason over the past years but I have never driven after drinking thus never had anything to worry about. The test took a couple of minutes then i was on my way.

If I remember correctly the problem with stop and search for knives was the simple fact that the majority stopped were black people.

And yes, idiots who use their phones whilst driving need to be stopped and fined. How much is a hands free kit for gods sake.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - unthrottled

Every year the sanctimonious hand wringing regarding drink driving starts.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is no better and no worse than driving than any other impediment. That includes driving home for Christmas after a long week at the office hoping that winding the window down an inch will keep you awake...

It also includes driving to work the morning after the baby has kept you up all night and you're still bleary eyed and you couldn't be bothered to scrape the windscreen properly so you peer through a tiny letterbox of clear glass for 3 miles until the heater melts the rest of the ice...

There happens to be a chemical test for alcohol. There isn't one for all the other daft things that people routinely do.

Bad I will admit but not in the same league as driving while under the influence of both drugs and alcohol.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - unthrottled

Haven driven with a still frosted-up windscreen (I'm part of 'Alarm Clock Britain', and needed to get to work, so it's ok, right?) I can safely say that I was far less able to operate the vehicle safely than somebody with with a BAC of slightly over 80mg. For an average person a BAC of 80 gives a similar mental impairment as a bad night's sleep. The former gets you a ban and a future insurance black listing. The latter is everyday motoring for most people.

But there are no specific laws that prohibit "driving with the window down an inch to keep you awake" or "driving to work the morning after the baby has kept you up all night" or "couldn't be bothered to scrape the windscreen properly so you peer through a tiny letterbox of clear glass" other than perhaps being charged with dangerous drving, driving without due care and attention etc etc.

There may not be chemical tests for them but that does not make it OK.

The fact that there are many other ways to kill people on the road does not make it OK to drink drive either.

If you have an accident and it is proved that you were not in a fit state to drive (through alcohol or othe factors) you should be charged, if the accident results in the death of a 3rd party that charge should be manslaughter.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - dieseldogg

I am 100% with unthrottled.

In his analysis.

I attempt to avoid knowingly drink driving, but perhaps in the past could have been guilty of "morning after" or indeed very very occasionally "afternoon after" driving.

However the worst state I was ever in driving was:

(i) once through influenza as a student and driving home to be nursed.=grim.

(ii) Driving whilst tired on motorways at night, excessive speed and the associated "frights" tickling up the adrenlin being the only way to stay alert.

(iii) driving with obnioxus squalling distracting young children in the car (they were, and still are, ours btw) Really ones premium SHOULD be loaded for that offence.

Never having driven a BMW or Audi I cannot comment on these contributing factors.

I attempt to avoid knowingly drink driving, but perhaps in the past could have been guilty of "morning after" or indeed very very occasionally "afternoon after" driving

"You attempt" thats not very reassuring.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - skidpan

Unthrottled and Dieseldogg, I hope this is a wind up, if its not please post a timetable of your intended routes so I can avoid you. That way both of you can enjoy your own accidents without involving anyone else.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - mrnikko

Stopped this morning at 05-50 near Doncaster for a routine check in reality trying to catch the night before drinker.Since i drive for a living alcoholic drinking the day before i drive is a no no. Police totally disinterested when i told them that my last alcoholic drink eas on the night of 5th December let me go with a cheery happy christmas

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - jc2

Two of swmbo's colleagues, (nurses) in their uniforms stopped and breathalysed just up the road from the local hospital leaving after work still in nurses uniforms.. Both breathalysed, and one of them told that friday at this time was a good time to catch people. So don't risk it. Pleease keep A&E empty if you can.

Why were they stopped???? And why both ????

Probably a routine check they can do that you know.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - dodo

Regular part of life over her in Northrn Irelandso best not to take any risks.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - Bobbin Threadbare

Lots of DD checkpoints up here, particularly in Lancaster and Morecambe. A colleague was stopped and breathalysed on her way into school at 8am one morning last week.

Just don't. I have never understood the 'well I'll have one...' mentality either, but I'm not much of a drinker, and grew up with a copper in the house who had a ready supply of tales of the mess driving under the influence can cause.

Besides, often it's not just alcohol, it's alcohol + tiredness at this time of year.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 24/12/2012 at 16:49

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - oldroverboy.

Why were they stopped???? And why both ????

Random checks, both driving separate cars.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - Leif

I have no problem with them stopping people randomly, as long as it is random. Anyone remember the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch, invovling PC Savage and his arresting a man for having thick lips, curly hair and dark skin? The irony is that some police officers of that era were far worse than PC Savage. Perhaps the modern equivalent is "Speaking with a posh accent, and being a member of the Tory party". ;)

We had a lecture at work a few years ago. We were told a pint of beer is about 2 units, roughly 4 units gets you to the limit and you burn roughly 1 unit an hour. I'll drink a pint of beer before a meal, and then 2 hours later drive. I would not feel safe driving having drunk 2 pints, so the limit seems reasonable. I would not drive soon after driking a pint either.

To those who say the DD limit is silly because it equates to the same state as being tired, as others have said, it is not possibly to measure tiredness, and if you do cause a crash due to tiredness, you can be prosecuted.

I grew up in NI when RUC checkpoints were absolutly routine, both for security and alcohol.

So from I larned to drive I never got into that apparent English habit of drinking and driving.

When "running" to the discos I took it week about with a cousin, one drove, tother drank.

I then attempted to larn to drink sans automobile as a student.

Then got married and back into the turn about schedule.

Now at 53 I will have a pint, generally with food, or sitting for an hours banter and then drive home, why should I not?.

The only time I have 2 or exceptionally 3 pints the wife or weans drive.

I tend to be too sensible for my own good, but cannot stand scantiminous and possibly hyprocrital posturing and twaddle.

I could consider one of those £50.00 alcoholmeters, but then would perhaps be tempted to attemt to cut it too fine.

The Frence are very sensible with the recent mandatory 2 breathtest devices to be carried in der car.

But then the French always had a more pragmatic attitude to drinking and driving, from personal observation on driving holidays 20 year ago.

Edited by dieseldogg on 24/12/2012 at 19:47

The Frence are very sensible with the recent mandatory 2 breathtest devices to be carried in der car.

But then the French always had a more pragmatic attitude to drinking and driving, from personal observation on driving holidays 20 year ago.

They appear to be withdrawing that legislation - it seems that only Brit visitors were bothering to buy the kits !

They appear to be withdrawing that legislation - it seems that only Brit visitors were bothering to buy the kits !

Now why am I not surprised? They do have a reputation for loving EU legislation, then ignoring it, whilst the rest of Europe (well, us) follow it. A few years ago I worked for a French company. They adored regulations, even sending instructions as to how we should park our cars in the car park.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - davecooper

Using a mobile phone while driving does not appear to be given the same level of seriousness as driving under the influence. Why? This is without a doubt as dangerous as drink driving. Drink driving, driving under the influence of drugs, driving with iced up windows and using a mobile while driving can all cause death and injury but are all given very different punishments. Obviously some are deemed more acceptable than others!

Obviously some are deemed more acceptable than others!

The majority of people do not drink and drive, said majority therefore wrings hands.

The majority of people do drive after not getting enough sleep, not noticing the toast is still plastered to their face as they drive with bloodshot eyes. Said majority will not support 3 points for being tired.

Obviously some are deemed more acceptable than others!

The majority of people do not drink and drive, said majority therefore wrings hands.

The majority of people do drive after not getting enough sleep, not noticing the toast is still plastered to their face as they drive with bloodshot eyes. Said majority will not support 3 points for being tired.

I will support any legislation that makes the road safer. But how on earth are you going to measure how tired a driver is.

HGV divers have the spy in the cab but that does not prove they have slept for a given time before driving.

This topic stated as a discussion about random breath tests and has been changed into a discussion about other factors that can affect your safety behind the wheel. Happy to see them become law when there is a quantifiable way of determining them.

This is part of the "problem" with modern traffic law - some offences, like speeding and drink-driving are straightforward to test/check but others go unpunished because there's no technology, yet, to detect them - eg careless or dangerous driving.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - Happy Blue!

Driving down the M6 earlier this week down the inside lane at about 65mph. Few trucks and came across a doing about 60mph and weaving around. Couldn't overtake for a short while as there was cars coming past in the middle lane. Eventually I got past and saw the driver texting on a smartphone (not easy without buttons at the best of times) resting the phone on the wheel and using both hands!

Wish the Police had come past then. Drivers age - at least 60.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - Bromptonaut

We had a lecture at work a few years ago. We were told a pint of beer is about 2 units, roughly 4 units gets you to the limit and you burn roughly 1 unit an hour. I'll drink a pint of beer before a meal, and then 2 hours later drive. I would not feel safe driving having drunk 2 pints, so the limit seems reasonable. I would not drive soon after driking a pint either.

To those who say the DD limit is silly because it equates to the same state as being tired, as others have said, it is not possibly to measure tiredness, and if you do cause a crash due to tiredness, you can be prosecuted.

One needs to be very careful about converting drinks to units.

The pint that equals two units is a pint of 'quaffing' bitter; say 3.5% abv. Modern beers and continental lagers can be 5% upwards making a pint more than three units.

Wine is even more difficult. The glass that equals one is sometihng around 80cl ans the wine around 10% abv. A standard pub glass is 125ml and 250ml ( third of a bottle for goodness sake) is common. Add in Ozzy Shiraz at 13/14% abv and you're playing Russian Roulette with your licence before you've downed a glassfull.

Spirits are fairly safe provided you drink single pub measures and avoid the Glenfarclas 105!!

And units > BAC is another minefield where the variables include weight/build, gender, stomach contents, drink taken with food etc etc.

Abstinence is the only safw way.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - 1litregolfeater

I got breathalysed a while ago for no reason whatsoever, and it still rancours with me.

Needless to say I was sober.

I think I'll go against the drift of this thread from you politically correct, PC compliant, lot, and tell you that it was a gross invasion of my privacy, not to mention a huge loss of dignity, to be ordered around by two spotty kids in a fast car.

I think you will find it has less to do with saving lives than meeting targets, it's a filler-in job they do when otherwise workless.

The police really must get their act together if they wish to engender rather than alienate, public trust.

"Huge loss of dignity" ???

Would you have been prouder if you'd failed ?

I don't hold with politically correct for anything - but random checks are perfectly reasonable - the innocent have nothing to fear - and the guilty shouldn't profit from reluctance to accept random testing.

I quite p***ed off a cheeky wee Minx of a WPC in the spring of the year.

travelling in der freshly MOT'd Steyr Puch van at about 23:30 just outside a village on route to Larne to catch a boat.

Road very quite, no other traffic to be seen in either direction.

Plenty of time in hand, dootering along straddling the white line.

Saw headlights coming up behind, so held well in and slowed up to let them proceed.

Woo Wooo Woo, they flashed me in.

I instantly knew why and was highly amused.

I got out and wandered back, to be ordered back into my vehicle by madame.

Who was disgusted that I WAS NOT DRUNK, per her erronous preceptions.

She then proceeded to give me a lecture on my driving.

The wee snig!

me, who had seen them approaching from the rear, in plenty of time, and pulled over!

get a grip dear, and while you are at it, dry behind your ears.

i.e. perhaps consider extending some common courtsey to innocent drivers wrongly ( but reasonably) presumed guilty.

Edited by dieseldogg on 28/12/2012 at 08:58

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - 1litregolfeater

Yes, similarly, the wee laddie wanted to know why I was travelling at 29 mph.

When I told him that I had clearly observed through my wing mirror, a police car behind me with no flashing lights as we came round the bend, he was visibly deflated.

I do appreciate that there is a lot of crime and the police have a difficult job.

Perhaps better training could help. Perhaps more IQ and less testosterone, they do have a dilemma.

I think I'll go against the drift of this thread from you politically correct, PC compliant, lot, and tell you that it was a gross invasion of my privacy, not to mention a huge loss of dignity, to be ordered around by two spotty kids in a fast car.

Its a miracle you can get into a car with a chip on your shoulder that size.

Its a miracle you can get into a car with a chip on your shoulder that size.

Or perfectly balanced - a huge chip on each shoulder.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - madf

You really need to work hard at growing and having a more adult view of life.

NOT drink driving - Stopped at 5.10pm - skidpan

I got breathalysed a while ago for no reason whatsoever, and it still rancours with me.

I think you will find it has less to do with saving lives than meeting targets, it's a filler-in job they do when otherwise workless.

The police really must get their act together if they wish to engender rather than alienate, public trust.

Maybe 1litregolfeater's attitude had a bearing on the way he was treated, as others say he does appear to have a have a bit of an issue with our friends in blue.

Sounds like 1litregolfeater is one of those who's feeling very old because 'the policemen look so young these days.'

Random checks in some ways are a bit silly. Theres signs of drunkeness you can pick up on without stopping cars randomly. For instance the vast majority of drunks forget to turn their lights on.

Sounds like 1litregolfeater is one of those who's feeling very old because 'the policemen look so young these days.'

That is the second agist remark from you over the last few days.

Random checks in some ways are a bit silly. Theres signs of drunkeness you can pick up on without stopping cars randomly. For instance the vast majority of drunks forget to turn their lights on.

I've thought that policemen looked so young since I was in my mid-30's.

You're only old when you can't remember why you're looking at young girls - women never admit to going past 39, even to themselves.

Edited by RT on 28/12/2012 at 17:29

Disgraceful, stopping someone so important as you. I'm unimportant me. I'm rather happy to see them doing something potentially useful.

As an aside, I was chatting with my neighbour, who is a font of stories. Decades ago he used to drive a bus, and one day a car pulled out from a side road, and he was unable to brake in time, and totalled the car. Not much damage to the bus though, they were big in those days. The driver got out, and was clearly pie eyed. Soon after the local police pulled up in their car, got out, and then seeing the drunk driver one exclaimed, "Christ, it's the boss". It was the chief constable of Reading (allegedly). Needless to say the bus driver was told he was lucky and would not be prosecuted. The drunk driver suffered no reprimand of any kind. As I say, this was a long time ago, when the police were known to be completely corrupt.

One needs to be very careful about converting drinks to units.

The pint that equals two units is a pint of 'quaffing' bitter; say 3.5% abv. Modern beers and continental lagers can be 5% upwards making a pint more than three units.

Of course. I stick to the 4%, which often has more flavour anyway. I make sure I am nowhere near the legal limit, for moral and legal reasons.

How do you know ?