skoda superb - VAG Skoda new keys. - concrete

Hello everyone, this subject may heve been covered previously, but I need some help. I have just encountered a problem with my car key. I bought the car second hand and it came with only one key. The usual 'flip out' VAG group key fob. No problem for 6 years until the fob plays up and I cannot get into the car. Not only due to fob or battery being defunct but the physical key will not open the door lock, and will only operate the ignition lock. Having replaced the battery and back to normal I am now aware that this problem may recur. Is it possible to obtain replacement keys for 1. a new fob which operates the locks etc remotely as a spare 2. a new fob with a physical key that will operate the door lock when the battery is defunct? I am told that a main dealer will charge a small fortune for such a service and wondered if any forum members had solved this problem previously. Any comments gratefully received. Cheers Concrete

skoda superb - VAG Skoda new keys. - Duncan112

Your local Timpsons may be able to help with the fob and key, if not they almost certainly will know someone who can, however it sounds like one of your lock cylinders has been replaced and you have the key to the ignition cylinder only, it being relatively easy to program a key fob to open the central locking but a sight harder to program the chip that identifies the key to the cars ecu. Unless your friendly locksmith can cut a key to fit the door and you're happy about carrying 2 keys around (Shades of the old BL days!!) this almost certainly means an expensive trip to VWAG to get a new door cylinder matched to the ignition cylinder.

skoda superb - VAG Skoda new keys. - elekie&a/c doctor

A much easier solution would be to order a new driver door lock barrel to chassis number,assuming the ignition lock is original,then one key fits all.hth

skoda superb - VAG Skoda new keys. - Simon

Are you sure that the door lock is not just seized as it may never have been used?

skoda superb - VAG Skoda new keys. - concrete

Thanks for comments so far. Very helpful. I am going to see Timpsons later today and see what they can offer. I also intend to visit my main dealer( who do service the car) and see about matching up the cylinder locks, assuming I can arrange a second mortgage first!!!I did spray WD40 into the lock and it does seem free enough, just the wrong key . I will let you have my progress in case this happens to anyone else. Thanks again. Concrete