Kia Sportage 2006 CRDI - Odd coolant leak - Snakey

I've noticed my 2006 Kia Sportage is leaking from the coolant expansion tank - from the little overflow pipe that sits just under the cap. Its only a little bit of coolant, and only seems to be when the engine has been hot, then cools down.

I've been keeping an eye on it and I've noticed the following:

- The cap seems to work, as when you release it you get some pressure release (much less when fully cold)

- When the engine is running and hot, I can't see any coolant leaking

- An hour or so later, there is a little bit of coolant showing in the overflow pipe, and if you take off the expansion tank cap you can see coolant around the seal.

- The tank level is at the Min when cold, and roughly halfway between Min and Max when hot

- When the engine is cold, I squeezed the coolant pipe going into the thermostat housing and it wasn't hard - so the system isn't remaining pressurised (cylinder head gasket?)

The car runs and warms up normally, and the heating is working fine - theres no sign of water in the oil, or oil in the water - anyone got any ideas!

Kia Sportage 2006 CRDI - Odd coolant leak - thunderbird

- The cap seems to work, as when you release it you get some pressure release (much less when fully cold)

There should be no pressure in the system when the engine is fully cold. Possibly indicates head gasket issues starting.

I always thought a little but of 'residual' pressure was normal - but that why I'm posting I suppose!

Its not much, just a little puff of air as you release the cap. If its the CHG then its bad news - according to the service history it was done a year ago - with genuine parts etc so it might be time to ditch a lemon.

Kia Sportage 2006 CRDI - Odd coolant leak - thunderbird

according to the service history it was done a year ago

Have you got the receipts. My guess the seller knew of a bigger problem in store and offloaded it. Looks like it was not done correctly, cracked head, warped head.

I have the invoice - it was done by a reputable garage, all genuine KIA parts with a head skim and new water pump/timing belt kit at the same time. That was about 20,000 miles ago

Would a cracked/warped head not use coolant more quickly?

Kia Sportage 2006 CRDI - Odd coolant leak - unthrottled

When the engine is cold, I squeezed the coolant pipe going into the thermostat housing and it wasn't hard - so the system isn't remaining pressurised (cylinder head gasket?)

When the system is cold there is little vapour pressure so the pipes will be squeezable. The source of the pressure is the heated coolant.

The tank level is at the Min when cold, and roughly halfway between Min and Max when hot

Perfectly normal. Antifreeze expands considerably when warm-much more so than plain water.

Look for some crusty residue around hoses (especially at the ends), thermostat housing and radiator. My bet is that coolant will force its way through a poorly sealed hose when the coolant is very hot and under pressure. This normally occurs when the coolant flow quickly decreases while the cylinder head is well over 100C such as when you come off the motorway and have to stop at lights or a roundabout.

You won't see this happen if you've been pottering along suburban roads for a couple of miles before you get home and pop the bonnet open.

I once switched the engine off immediately after a hard hill climb and the temperature gauge climbed into the red. Looks alarming, but the head had been at that temperature all along.

Relax! Your h/g is fine!

I can see exactly where the coolant is seeping out of, it's the overflow pipe.

The garage where I got it don't reckon it's the HG (but then they would!) but they have agreed to let a garage look into it in more detail.

I only seem to lose a little bit of coolant, and I can't see any other leaks or residue, it's going to be an awkward one to find!

Bit of an update.

Garage has done a sniff test and say the HG is ok. They thought it might be a faulty coolant tank cap so that was replaced but the leak is still there.

No pressure in the systen when fully cold and no other sign of coolant loss other than through this overflow pipe. But the pressure cap must be allowing the coolant to escape!

Its got me baffled!