Kia Ceed SW - Winter Tyres - DennisG

I have a set of winter tyres from previous car (215-55 R16) and would like to use them on 2011 ceed SW. Recommended steel wheels are 6.00Jx 16, with 205-55 R16 tyres. So my tyres are 10mm wider. Can these be safely fitted to the 6.00J rims?

Kia Ceed SW - Winter Tyres - skidpan

They should be fine on the rims but since they are wider (only slightly) you will need to check that they do not foul any suspension or brake parts.

Also remember that they are not a Kia OEM size thus expect the insurance company to want more money.

May be cheaper in the long term to sell them (e-bay has worked for me) and buy the correct size.

Kia Ceed SW - Winter Tyres - Collos25

The "55" is an aspect ratio of the tyre.

The "55" is an aspect ratio of the tyre.

What's that got to do with the OP's question. He asked about width since his tyres are wider than the OEM size for that rim.

Kia Ceed SW - Winter Tyres - gordonbennet

215 is at the smaller end of acceptable on a 6" wheel but still OK according to the tyre calculator on Carbibles...6.00 to 7.5 recommended...unless you already have the steel wheels could you not find a suitable set of correct used alloys on fleabay?

Difference in rolling circumference of 3.3cm or 1.74%, so not a world apart, obviously 1cm wider.

You should be able to tell by feeling round the existing tyres at all angles of steering, make allowance for suspension movement, if there is room for the small extra width/height.....also look at your second set to see if they are broad shouldered, surprising the difference in shoulder shape between tyre makes and models, could make a difference with wheelarch or strut clearance...it does on some MB's with wheelarches.

I reckon they'll be fine, but mention the different size to your insurer.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/11/2012 at 11:46

A lot to do with the overall size of the tyres or don`t you understand tyre measurements.

A lot to do with the overall size of the tyres or don`t you understand tyre measurements.

Of course I understand tyre measurements. Its the profile height as a percentage of the width. What that has got to do with will a 215 fit on a 6" rim is beyond me.

The mind boggles at your lack of knowledge when it comes to tyres.

The mind boggles at your lack of knowledge when it comes to tyres.

Come on then educate me.

So you do not think that all the relevent measurements matter or do thing you can fit any size tyre.The depth of the tyre wall will have a sinificant bearing on whether the tyres will safely fit or not.

Edited by Collos25 on 06/11/2012 at 16:32

So you do not think that all the relevent measurements matter or do thing you can fit any size tyre.The depth of the tyre wall will have a sinificant bearing on whether the tyres will safely fit or not.

The section height has little if any effect on whether a tyre is safe to fit on a rim. Its the section width that determines if its safe or not. The 215 the OP queried is at the limit for a 6" rim but it still will be safe. That does not mean the tyre will be safe on the car if it fouls suspension/brakes etc, that is why the OP needs to check his existing clearances.

Ideally the OP need to refer to the tyre manufacturers webs site, there may be a table that shows preffered rim sizes, if not ring them to check.

How hard can it be.

Kia Ceed SW - Winter Tyres - DennisG

Thanks guys - i think I,ll go for the sale option just to be 100% safe.