Nissan Almera 2002 - Halfords broke my knob - ruggedtoast

I went to Halfords for a car stereo fitting (I know). They've taken out the OEM radio and replaced with the new one, and all is fine except the little light that illuminates one of the dash knobs no longer works.

Its the knob right under the stereo that alternates the air blower from windscreen to feet etc. I dont think the circular surround that illuminated the little graphics has ever worked (since I had the car), but the light on the actual knob used to, and now it doesnt - rendering that part of the dash completely invisible in the dark.

I'm going to ask them to look at it again. Given that its a 10 year old car, is it likely to have been something they did, and can fix, or just tough luck? A loose wire than can be reconnected? All the other lights and their knobs next to it are fine.

It feels a bit pedantic going back just for this but I do need to change the blower settings at night and this is suddenly a lot harder than it used to be as I cant even see where the dial is.

Its a Nissan Almera.

The picture here shows an image of a similar knob , except theirs is on the right and mine's on the left.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2963199/2004-nissan-sentra/...7

Edited by ruggedtoast on 01/11/2012 at 19:33

Nissan Almera 2002 - Halfords broke my knob - stuartl

I dont like the store as they seem to focus on bikes/camping and boy racers than real car parts and wouldnt let one of their unqualified teenage spotty oiks anywhere near my car. Might just be coincidence though and expect them to argue that point

Nissan Almera 2002 - Halfords broke my knob - 72 dudes

Take it back to them: Be firm but polite, ask to see the Store Manager. Explain what's happened clearly and why you believe it's their fault.

It's probably something simple and I don't see why they wouldn't agree to have a look and fix it.

Good luck

I called them up and they don't seem to have an issue with looking at it, whether they actually can fix it, or just break something else remains to be seen.

I wasn't keen on taking it to them but my indy didn't want the job and I was too impatient to find a proper garage that would do it, guess I learnt my lesson with another fast fit place all over again.

Just to give some closure to this, Halfords had no problem with trying to sort it out. They decided the bulb had blown, which they didnt stock, but said if I got one they would fit it for me.

They demonstrated this by switching the defunct bulb with the working one from the other knob. When I went to drive off the bad bulb started working again so I guess it has a lousy connection.

They dealt with it ok anyway.

Nissan Almera 2002 - Halfords broke my knob - 72 dudes

Good - if it happens again, at least you'll know what's wrong.