Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - Charlieskipper

I was getting excited about a new Volvo V40 then my mates said the parts and servicing costs caused them to get rid of their Volvos. Does any one know of a comparison of prices between manufacturers of top end hatch like the V 40?

Charlieskipper

Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - skidpan
When we looked at getting a C30 the servicing costs were horendous considering that its only a Focus in a party frock. £1300 for the first 3 services form memory. We bought a 1 series BMW instead, had it nearly 5 years now, only spent £650 on servicing so far and the next one is not due until Feb 2014.
Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - Charlieskipper

Thanks for that, I'll make some more enquiries at Volvo, any one else had experience with maintenance costs in high end hatches?

Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - 72 dudes

Recent group test of the V40 vs. 1 series vs. new A3 also found servcing costs to be a bit higher on the V40 but not hugely so. Of course BMW offer the 5 year service plan for about £300 which is a steal.

Ask Volvo whether they do anything similar, because I agree the V40 looks very desirable.

For info I run an S40 2.0D and my 37500 and 50000 services came to around £260 at the dealer. Next one at 62500 may be bigger though.

Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - jacks

For info I run an S40 2.0D and my 37500 and 50000 services came to around £260 at the dealer. Next one at 62500 may be bigger though.

It's the one after (75000) that's really painfull - £900 for the DPF replacement on top of the service itself , so over £1K. If you don't replace the DPF the car's computer "knows" it's not been done and the engine management system puts the car into limp mode - forcing you into the dealer (who will then replace the DPF!)

AFAIK there is no way around this, and I speak as a S40 2.0D owner , unless anyone has found a way to do it cheaper?

J

Edited by jacks on 30/10/2012 at 14:35

Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - 72 dudes

Good point Jacks. However, mine is a 2007 Euro 4 model without DPF - I chose carefully!

And having previously had a 2.2 HDi C5 which developed all kinds of related problems with egr valve, turbo boost switch, pressure differential sensor etc etc, I wasn't going to be caught out again.

As a general point, most new diesel cars have a DPF and I think there will be lots of disgruntled owners in a few years time.

Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - jacks

Good point Jacks. However, mine is a 2007 Euro 4 model without DPF - I chose carefully!

Well done! mine is actually a lease car (2010) that goes back at 60K (in 2013) BUT I wanted to buy it at the end of the lease as I really like it but the huge service bill that would fall due within the first year after buying will put me off .

Edited by jacks on 30/10/2012 at 20:16

Volvo V 40 new - Volvo Audi BMW Merc Servicing and Parts costs - barney100

I have a Volvo and a Merc...both quite high mileage and I have found the costs not too bad at all. I don't go near main dealers and the indies I use are pretty good at saying what the costs will be before they start. I found Volvo main dealers very expensive and the Merc ones even more so. To give Merc their due they do offer a good percentage off labour for older cars and the owners club membership gets 10% off parts and labour for anyage. I have friends with Fords and Audis who who getbigger bills than me.