Can I reject the car ? - Smallzoo

In July 2012 I bought a car from a car dealer in Mobberley, cheshire

It was a 2004, Nissan XTrail, 119k miles.

It was sold with Full service history.

I paid £3995 ( including car tax )

Within a few weeks it started to pump black smoke out the exhaust. After quite a few emails/calls they agreed to take it back and sort it. I had to wait then over 3 weeks for the car to be returned. They told me they had repaired the car by replacing the turbo but that everything else was in superb condition. During the three weeks they lent me an old ford focus ( smokers car ).

I've had it about 2 weeks and now I can see white smoke coming out of the exhaust on harsh acceleration. I spoke to a mechanic and he said that was not normal especially after the work had been done.

There are a few other issues. I was sold the car with full service history, but when I tried to track down the garage that had stamped the book for the last three services it turned out the unit was a car wash and had never been a garage. Someone had possibly done some work on cars over a year ago but nobody could confirm it. I tried to track down the previous owner but that has also been fruitless.

Also the badge in the back of the car says SVE but in fact it is a sport. It was sold to me however as a sport.

I'm really fed up so emailed them to ask for a refund. I said that I didnt feel confident to drive the car now in case there was another problem and it would make matters worse. I agreed to take some of the hit and asked for £3500 or somewhere near

This was the reply

...my mechanics fitted the turbo which they are perectly qualified to do, I spent over 700 pounds getting it fixed and gave you a vehicle in between. The car now has an extra owner and you have done several thousand miles in it. I am now on holiday for two weeks and deal with your issues on my return,

Can he just go on holiday and leave me high and dry, can I reject it or am I on shaky ground

Any help would be appreciated

Can I reject the car ? - tony g
Sorry I don't think it's possible to reject the car ,the dealer has done the reasonable thing and attempted to fix the car ,and lent you a loan car .The car is 8 years old with relatively high mileage ,which limits your options .

Your only , hope of a refund is the apparently false service history ,if you can prove that you bought the car on the understanding that the car had a full history ,you may ,be able to obtain a refund .
Can I reject the car ? - tony g
S

Edited by tony g on 27/10/2012 at 02:50

Can I reject the car ? - thunderbird

This just proves what I have said for years on possibly this and definitely other forums, stamps in a service book are worth fek all. You need to see receipts as well.

Can I reject the car ? - RT

This just proves what I have said for years on possibly this and definitely other forums, stamps in a service book are worth fek all. You need to see receipts as well.

Rubber stamps can be bought from a famous online auction site very cheaply by the unscrupulous, I agree that their value is worthless - but with modern PC/printer technology, it's not difficult to create fictitious invoices/receipts as well.

Manufacturers computer systems can be useful during the original warranty period but few cars are serviced at franchised dealers once their original warranty ends.