Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - 1jim
Hi everyone

Starting to think about getting a new car, quite like the look of a crossover like the Kia sportage or similar. Have looked at an ix35 and 3008 and am starting to think they may not be suitable for us

We really need a car that can take two car seats in rear, preferably highball isofix for age up to 11. Would like to fit an adult in the middle rear seat reasonably comfortably. The ix35 could get bottom in but shoulders were an issue, the 3008 couldn't get bottom in!

Don't really want a 7 seater, will be getting rid of our xsara Picasso so would be nice to have a "nice" car now. Any thoughts on this? I know ix35 and sportage are same car but different trim so wondered if there was any more space on seats or what about qashqai? Or do I need to widen the search?

Thanks
Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - RT

Have a look at the new 2013 Santa Fe - they've changed it from a SUV to a CUV (basically lowered everything) and is well able to seat 3 big adults in the back or 2 child seats and an adult.

Be wary of the 7-seat version, the access to the 3rd row is pathetic, at least compared to the 2006-2012 Santa Fe it is.

Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - Bromptonaut

Berlingo/Partner/Doblo?

Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - unthrottled

Don't really want a 7 seater, will be getting rid of our xsara Picasso so would be nice to have a "nice" car now.

Um, why not buy...er..a car then!

Crossovers are just cars in drag trying to look like Range Rovers for those that can't afford the real thing. You can put a car on stilits and all that will happen is that won't handle as well and will use a bit more fuel.

Higher driving position
Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - mum2atoddler
I'm assuming you have never driven one then?. My CRV handles better than my Astra SXI ever did and it has better fuel economy!!.

I'm not sure the CRV would be big enough for your needs but I can get two 6ft men next to my car seat. It has a huge boot, the new one is even bigger. Yes it's a marmite car looks wise but I can't fault it in anyway.
Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - Auristocrat

Do you want a Crossover or an Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)?

The Sportage and ix35 are both SUV's. So others you could consider if you want an SUV are the Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan X-Trail, Mazda CX-5, Ford Kuga, VW Tiguan, Skoda Yeti, and Toyota RAV4.

If you want a Crossover, why not consider the original and look at the Nissan Qashqai or the Qashqai +2.

To be fair I don't think I really care about the classification of car, it's the ride height for the wife, the looks of the car, but most importantly the ability to fit the 2 car seats with an adult in the middle. Not sure about the yeti though, I'm told it's very good....but not exactly what I had in mind looks wise :-(
Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - mum2atoddler
I did reply but it attached itself to another message rather than the one I wanted it to (on phone) have a look ^^^
Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - Avant

No-one has mentioned the Ford S-Max yet. I know you don't want a 7-seater but the S-Max doesn't look like a van and doesn't drive like one either.

Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - Lygonos

CRV will fit an isofix seat either side but room between will be tight.

Best option we found was an FRV - can fit 3 child seats side-by-side, or 2 isofix with room for adult in middle, or you can get a 6th person in middle front seat while still having all the boot space (plus handy room under rear seats for squashy stuff.

I'd only go for a 7 seater if you need all 7 seats as few except the largest will comfortably fit 2 isofix + 1 adult in the 2nd row (middle seat is usually a narrow compromise unlike the FRV)

Crossover advice needed, car seats & adult in back - Avant

The FRV is a great car, designed during Honda's imaginativre phase which sadly seems to be over. I suppose it was withdrawn because it didn't sell well.

The Fiat Multipla, similarly with 3 + 3 seating, didn't sell well either, not only because of chronic ugliness but I think also because not every parent wants a bambino saying 'are we nearly there' directly into their left ear. When our four children were young they sat in the back or 'very back' of a series of excellent seven-seater Renaults, models which sold rather better.