Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+ - cam belt on picasso - upsetthatmypreferednameistaken

Hi, I bought this car (Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+) 2 weeks ago from Arnold Clark Northwich its a 57 plate picasso with 39000 miles on the clock and I have noticed a chirping sound like the cam belt maybe slipping. Does Arnold Clark have any responsibilty in this matter as I have had the vehicle for less than a month and the cam belt isn't due replacement until 10 years or 150,000 miles whichever comes soonest. I realise that this might be seen as a 'service' issue rather than a warranty claim and need some advice, Thanks in advance. Ste

Edited by upsetthatmypreferednameistaken on 29/09/2012 at 23:08

Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+ - cam belt on picasso - focussed

Cam belts don't "slip", they are a toothed belt-the cam belt tensioner pulley bearings however can make a chirping noise, usually when cold. More likely to be a loose alternator drive belt, particulary if the noise starts immediately after the car is started from cold.

Get an independant workshop to diagnose the cause of the noise.

Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+ - cam belt on picasso - upsetthatmypreferednameistaken

Just noticed that the water is below minimum could this noise be a water pump bearing or are they unrelated.

(sprayed wd40 on the external belt which i presume is the alternator belt (on left of engine) and the noise briefly went off then came back after 20 seconds)

Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+ - cam belt on picasso - gordonbennet

Just noticed that the water is below minimum could this noise be a water pump bearing or are they unrelated.

(sprayed wd40 on the external belt which i presume is the alternator belt (on left of engine) and the noise briefly went off then came back after 20 seconds)

Hmm, lubricant, like that won't have done it any good.

Sounds like it is indeed the auxialliary drive belt, once these start squealing its usually a case of replacing to shut them up, at the very least you will have to try and clean the WD40 off, that'll be fun getting it out of the grooves of the crank and alternator pulley.

The only stuff i've ever found to help shut squeaking belts up is french chalk.

Continental belts seem to run quietly, appear to be impregnated with French chalk.

"Hmm, lubricant, like that won't have done it any good."

Oh dear. I've seen many a mechanic do the wd40 spraying to find which belt is sqeaking, just assumed this was common practise. I'll be taking it back to Arnold Clark where I bought it from tomorrow will let you know what they say. I'd still prefer if they checked under the cam belt cover to be sure i'm not going to bend all my valves etc. The water loss is still a problem it was full when I bought it and now its below empty after a week and a bit and 500 odd miles!

Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+ - cam belt on picasso - Collos25

I think I would double check the 150k or ten years.