renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - Pearsonsmith

i currently has a couple of issues with my scenic and need a little advice really. while driving, the electrics all failed in the car for a matter or 10 seconds or so, the dash just wnet black bar the red led light, i lost steering, wipers lights etc. When they all came back in, there was a fault displayed, typre pressure sensor fault, but ive never had the sensors in the tyres since i purchased the car over 2 years ago. I stopped the car and started in again the errors all went and was fine for about another 15 miles, until it did the same again

i have no idea where to start looking really and would love a little advice on what i could do to fine the fault or what to check

thanks in advance

renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - Collos25

Google this site, a common fault causing your problems have resulted in the dashboard being replaced.

id have looked at many forums about the dashboard, but i havent come across any that mention the car losing the everything electrical? my dash seems to be fine, no jumping mileage flickers, resetting of clocks etc?

it was as if someone had taken the fuse out of the car, and then put it back in again?

if you can link any threads that might he helpful that would be great

renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - Collos25

Its been covered many times on this site what you describe are the symptoms that were cured by a dashboard replacement .

collos25 would iut be possible for you to show me a few links so i can read up, from what id read before was about they just going blank, or flickering, or clocks resetting themselves etc

would be useful to see the posts thanks

renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - Galaxy

Something very similar happened to my niece's Renault Megane a few years ago. She had just had the car valeted and I think there must be a moisture sensor somewhere inside the car that causes all the electrics to shut down if it detects that there is too much moisture.

She called out Green Flag who, partly at my own suggestion, ran the car stationary for about 40 minutes with the heater on full and all the windows open. Fortunately, it did the trick and all the electrics came back on. No similar further problems since.

Possible connection to your problem, OP? Could there be too much moisture inside your car for any reason?

hi thanks for the reply i cant think for any reason why there could be or would be too much moisture in the air, the electrics only went off for a brief period, but know just dont trust the car and not oo happy about driving, it as when they do, its very difficult to control the car

renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - golfhacker27

Moisture in the dashboard is a very common issue with Scenics: the drain slots in the bulkhead (exterior, under the plastic grill that the wiper arm mounting protrudes through) get blocked very easily. By insects, leaves, twigs etc.

This means that water goes into the dashboard through the various channels under the bulkhead, rahter than draining down the correct slots in the wing/door area.

Had this issue on mine and eventually started facing a lot of electrical oddities and random error messages.

renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - Eran
Hi
I'm having the same problem with my scenic 2004
Can you tell me pls the outcome .?
Thanks in advance
Eran David

Edited by Eran on 29/10/2012 at 16:39

renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - takuhii

You should be able to get the dashboard replace free of charge if it is the fault that affects ALL Renault Scenics of that age (and was also on Watchdog)

renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - Eran
Hi

After I came back from the garage, they found that the problem was the battery minus connection. Strengthened the battery and since then problem does not return. Thank you
renault scenic 2004 - renault scenic electric problem - grimep

I'm afraid its never been free, after the Watchdog expose customers had to pay £100 for the dash replacement. Its now £150. I know as ours was done last week.

Unfortunately there are other issues with this car which are also down to design faults that aren't covered by Renault Customer Services, eg the heater blower wiring burning out due to too much current going through a connector. I asked the garage to quote for getting ours fixed while it was in for the dash... £470.