Vw golf mark v 2009 - Noise on accelerator - anniem
Had car in for 30,000 mile service and first MOT. Also told the garage that in 4th gear about 50mph I could hear a whine on the accelerator - noise disappeared when foot off the accelerator. Garage did diagnostics. Fault bad clutch judder - the car has never had a clutch judder. They fitted a new clutch and flywheel under warranty. Got car back and I still have this noise on the accelarator.

Before I ring the garage has anyone any idea what this is? I am not "technically minded" being a 68 year old woman but I do notice anything different going on with my golf and the noise annoys me at this speed.

Thank you
Vw golf mark v 2009 - Noise on accelerator - Peter.N.

It sounds like gearbox or differential whine, unless its very loud I wouldn't worry about it, bearings can start getting noisey but go on for many thousands of miles.

Thank you for our reply. I suppose I could ignore the whine but it drives me mad when the car is in 4th gear. After the new clutch had been fitted the vw garage said everything had been tested and it was okay. I am going to ring them to see what they say but I am now armed with some information.

Thank you
Hi

Back again about this noise after you advised is was probably a differential problem. I took the car back to the vw garage. Noise still there - they checked the turbo and said turbo ok. After I contacted VW UK they advised taking it to another VW dealer. They said problem was definitely a gearbox transmission diff problem. VW UK told me to take it back to first dealer. They have had my car all last week and rang today to say they have had the "cans" on and found it is a the turbo noise which is "normal". I rang other dealer and spoke to the guy who had taken the car out for the test run and he said it is not a turbo problem as it would sound like a police siren and it doesn't - he insists it is a transmission problem. VW uk will now take notice of the garage where the car is so it seems I have a battle on my hands. At least I have the reply from yourselves in August 2012 which does say the same as what the second dealer is saying. I asked the garage today why they think it is a "normal turbo noise" when you cannot hear the noise in any other gear but 4th or 5th at 50mph. It does happen they say.
Do you think it could be normal turbo noise?

Thank you
Anne