Yaris spec change? - SteveH42
I can't find anything about this so I was hoping a backroomer will know something.

I've got a Yaris 1.0 GLS on a W plate. Now, according to the website and a Yaris brochure I have from 2001 the GLS model comes with air conditioning. However, mine hasn't got it. I'm assured by the dealer mine is genuine UK spec, so is there any reason why it wouldn't have the aircon? Was the spec upgraded after my car was built? I should add that it does have a sunroof which is not listed as part of the GLS spec in the brochure I have.

Thanks for any info.
Yaris spec change? - KB.
I have an April 2001 brochure which is the same as yours i.e. no sunroof but aircon included. I looked at the 4Car review from '99 and it says "aircon on CDX models" which tallies with my personal recollection of the way things were. That is to say early GLS's didn't have it and "W" was fairly early (the first available were on "V"plates). I'm sure there was a change because I remember wanting aircon myself and having to go to the CDX to get it. Sorry to be vague but I've had a few Yaris's but none was a GLS.
KB.
Yaris spec change? - Blue {P}
My gran's GLS does have it, but I saw one on our local main dealer's forecourt (an early model) witha sunroof instead of A/C.

If you're unsure, just ring Toyota with your VIN and they will be able to tell you if it is a UK car or not. Ford certainly managed to identify mine as an Irish car quickly enough!

Blue
Thanks, KB and Blue. The spec shown on Parkers guide also tallies with what I have got, so I suspect Toyota must have either realised people would prefer aircon to a sunroof, or aircon was cheaper to fit. I suppose it's likely the change came with the moving of production from Japan to France - mine is a Japanese car. Not really a problem, just I remember when I was looking to the possibility of buying one new 18 months back I recall thinking that it was more sensible to buy the GLS over the GS as the price difference wasn't much and you got aircon and a load more goodies.
Yaris spec change? - paulbounty
hi steve,
the yaris GLS on W reg don't have aircon only sunroof, w reg don't have ABS as standard, so you may not have this on your car.
Interesting - I was wondering this as it seemed to be shown as standard across the range. How do I tell if it has ABS or not? I wish I'd realised there was so much spec difference as I might have waited until I could have afforded the later spec one...
Yaris spec change? - KB.
Apart from any other means of telling......find an empty bit of land and apply the brakes hard, then keep pressing until you're pressing so hard that the brakes would lock. If it locks and the tyres squeal and the car skids - you haven't got it. If the brakes start to vibrate and make a horrible banging noise and the wheels DON'T lock up - you've got it.

KB.
Yaris spec change? - Dynamic Dave
How do I tell if it has ABS or not?

You'll have a check light on the dashboard somewhere if you've got it.
Hmmm... I'll give the dealer 'higher spec than the (newer) GS you were looking at'... Nice of him to point out what I wasn't getting.

Thanks for your answers, folks.