V5 - Ukcarbroker.com "Duel First Keeper/Care Of" ? - Carlos12345

Hi,

I was interested in purchasing a car from UKCARBROKER.COM, but when i quieried my quote i was advised that the car would come as "joint first owner" where my name would appear as "Care Of".

I wondered where this would leave me legally as far as car ownership is concerned and also from an insurance point of view ?

The v5 etc would be sent to me prior to taking delivery of the vehicle.

They have offered me the best price so far for the war that i wish to buy, but am a bit dubious of going ahead if their is something legal I need to be concerned about.

Thanks

V5 - Ukcarbroker.com "Duel First Keeper/Care Of" ? - Cris_on_the_gas

The V5C is a record of the "Registered Keeper" of the vehicle and does not imply any ownership rights.

get the vendor to give you a full written invoice with all of the cars details, VIN, make,model, specification, colour, mileage, whih both you and they should sign and keep copies.

Get the V5C corrected once you have got your paws on the car

V5 - Ukcarbroker.com "Duel First Keeper/Care Of" ? - RT

A recent court case has declared it illegal for dealers or brokers to retain the V5C - there's a legal requirement for the owner/user to be the registered keeper as they are keeping the vehicle.

Dealers and brokers who have retained the V5C in the past must now cease.

V5 - Ukcarbroker.com "Duel First Keeper/Care Of" ? - daveyjp
If I have spent my hard earned cash on a car, I want the only piece of paper which shows I am the registered keeper to have my name on it.

Thinking the worst, what if you passed away before you received a V5c with your name on it? How is your interest in the car proven?

Avoid companies which do this and try drivethedeal or similar who you only deal with until the main dealer is idenitified and you then pay the dealer and pick up a brand new car.

I'd be interested in more info on the court case.
V5 - Ukcarbroker.com "Duel First Keeper/Care Of" ? - RT

It was reported here on HJ's website

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal--motoring-advice/2.../

V5 - Ukcarbroker.com "Duel First Keeper/Care Of" ? - Armitage Shanks {p}

If I have spent my hard earned cash on a car I want a piece of paper showing that I am the reguistered keeper AND an invoice or receipt to show that I have paid for it! Keeping is not legally owning.