Peugeot 405 GDR diesil estate - Fuel problems - davelo

Hi thereThis car has, until now, been the most reliable that I have ever owned, however it decided to die on me, I thought that pahaps I had run out of fuel, as it was showing low before this and the orange fuel light had come on, so went and bought some more and put it in, however she still will not go, tried priming the filter,( this is bolted to the battery housing, and has a primer on top) but the primer is drawing little or no fuel through, just to make sure that it is a definate fuel starvation problem, I filled the rubber inlet pipe from the filter to the engine manually, and she fired up right away, this morning, i took off the filter unit, and it had some fuel in it, but not full, I am now at the stage where I am left with the fuel pipe sticking up, but not going to anywhere, I flattened the battery whilst trying various things, so have now taken it off and put it on charge.As a chef I am not the best mechanic, however I can turn my hands to most things, I just wanted to ask, when I re connect the battery, and turn the engine should I see fuel being pumped up through the fuel pipe...? If I should and I don't, is there anything else I can try, and if not and the worst comes to the worst, how big a job will it be to replace the fuel pump.Greatful for any advice, kind regards Dave

Peugeot 405 GDR diesil estate - Fuel problems - dieselnut

You don't say what year the car is but it sounds like it might be the old XUD 1.9 engine. If the engine ran with fuel direct to the pump then nothing wrong with the pump.

Belive this will only have a transfer pump as part of the injection pump so has to suck fuel all the way from the tank & sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere between the tank & injection pump. Likely culprits are the hand primer itself or fuel filter. You will need to put some clear plastic tube at various points in the fuel line to see where the air is entering the fuel line.

If its Hdi engine ignor all above.

Peugeot 405 GDR diesil estate - Fuel problems - Peter.N.
I would agree, you have air getting into the system. The actual primer is a possible sorce of trouble, the diaphragm can fail on them, you can check this by temporaly bypassing the filter, if the battery is good enough it will eventually suck the fuel up, failing that you could have a crack in the plastic pipe where it joins the metal pipe just behind the engine. If you can park the car on a steep downhill slope the fuel will run to the engine and you should be able to see where its leaking.

It will be an XUD engine they stopped making them before the Hdi came out. Nice car though, I like them a lot.
Peugeot 405 GDR diesil estate - Fuel problems - glowplug

As Peter says. The primers and fuel lines are well known problems.

Steve.