late 05 Ford Focus 110ps estate - Diesel particulate filter additive - confused old codger

I've just had the warning light come up because the tank was empty so I added 1ltr of fluid. However the laptop codereader that I have access to did not have the facility to extinguish the light. If I drive with the light showing, will it still inject fluid as required until I can get it to a garage with the appropriate equipment? It would be really helpful to put off any more expense for a couple of months! Also, what is the capacity of the tank? It seemed as if it would take more; presumably once the light is out I can add more at any time, but will just have to go through the fuel filler flap wagging procedure!

I look forward to your clarification - Haynes say "take it to a garage" in glorious technicolour.

late 05 Ford Focus 110ps estate - Diesel particulate filter additive - elekie&a/c doctor

The Dpf tank holds 2.5 litres.It will need to be reset asap for the system to work correctly.Very few after market scanners will reset this system.The fuel filler flap wagging procedure only works if you stand on your head while it is raining !hth

late 05 Ford Focus 110ps estate - Diesel particulate filter additive - confused old codger

Thanks for a prompt reply, it's nice to hear from someone talking sense. I have found someone who is confident he can do it for me on Monday (£20 as opposed to the dealer's £95) - but I have a 150 mile trip due on Saturday. Would it stand that, or should we get the train? (I loath public transport!) There is a dribble of fluid left in the bottle that I could tip in the tank (5 - 10 cc).

late 05 Ford Focus 110ps estate - Diesel particulate filter additive - MikeTorque

There is a 4 stage manual procedure for resetting the system additive counter but it's a messy procedure and one I've never carried out.

It's far better and easier to get a garage to reset it for you. HOWEVER, before they do you must ensure the Eolys fluid tank is 100% full as the system additive counter reset is based on the tank being 100% full. The Eolys fluid is nasty stuff and protective gloves must be worn as all times when using the stuff.

A garage should be able to sort this out for you whilst you wait, and it's worth haggling over the price a dealer is proposing to charge you in the light of there being enough competition out there for you to take your business elsewhere.

Hummm, so now I've got the car booked to have the system reset with less than its full capacity in the tank. I can get 1.5 ltr of Volvo Eolys fluid that is quoted as suitable for Ford for less than I paid for the previous 1 ltr, but I won't get it until after the system is reset. Would I get away with this? from what I'm hearing there is nothing physically monitoring the tank level, rather the system calculates it.

late 05 Ford Focus 110ps estate - Diesel particulate filter additive - elekie&a/c doctor

I am amazed at the amount of incorrect info being passed around about the operation of this system.The tank needs 2.5 litres full to enable the system to be reset.There is a level sensor in the tank (just like the fuel tank).Opening and closing the fuel flap does not reset the system ,nor is there any manual reset procedure.Make sure your garage has the capability to carry out the correct procedure;most do not.hth

late 05 Ford Focus 110ps estate - Diesel particulate filter additive - MikeTorque

The manual (unofficial) procedure is only of limit use for when/if a computer is not available and when/if applied can result in a "Engine Systems Fault" message, which may mean you get another problem to deal with (DON'T USE IT IN OTHER WORDS).

The offical method is : Refill with EOLYS176 and reset according to TIS service instructions - 1.6/2.0 Duratorq-TDCi with EURO IV Emission and DPF, if applicable (LTS 23 563 4)

The good news is all Ford Focus Euro V models do not use Eolys fluid nor do they have an additive tank.

"confused old codger" - as "elekie&a/c doctor" mentioned, make sure your garage has the capability to carry out the correct procedure.