Buying advice - small automatic - chill365
Hi,

Due to medical reasons we need to get shot of my Mum's manual Ford Ka and look for an automatic in a similar size. It will mainly be used for short journeys with a couple of motorway trips now and again.

Budget of around £3-4k so looking for something around 6 or 7 years old that will be solid, reliable and cheap to run/maintain.

I know nothing about buying autos (that often get less favourable reviews than their manual equivalent) so any advice on what models to look out for, and also what to check when testing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
Buying advice - small automatic - gordonbennet

One car suggestion, Daihatsu Sirion...oh or Kia Picanto.

One gearbox suggestion, avoid the automated manual box from hell, designed by satan when in a particularly belligerent mood and no souls to torture.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/06/2012 at 22:27

Buying advice - small automatic - GavoTheSane

Here's a slightly wacky off the wall answer.

Smart ForFour - Mitsubishi colt based car, cheap to run, most use an automated manual (same controls as a proper auto), cheap to buy, merc quality interiors, japanese reliability, I had one for about 3 years, very reliable, just needed something bigger when I got rid of it.

Or get one of the newer shaped Mitsubishi Colt.

Edited by GavoTheSane on 18/06/2012 at 22:33

thanks for the suggestions. Smart looks really interesting but perhaps a bit 'out there' on the exterior styling

must admit that I had never heard of automated manuals - previous post suggests to avoid - are they reliable?

appreciate only two replies so far, but no mention of the bigger manufacturers.
?

Buying advice - small automatic - TeeCee

You forgot: oodles of fun too.

I had a Smart ForFour as a courtesy car from a windscreen firm fairly recently. Just like driving a Go-Kart and the harder you thrash it, the more fun it gets. Each one comes with a free grin.

I'd have pegged the interior as having its origins in Sparta rather than Stuttgart though.....

Buying advice - small automatic - Avant

I agree with GB - avoid the automated manual that is indeed the invention of the devil, although I would except the the VW Group DSG from this (GB may disagree here!).

Your mum could have a look at a Honda Jazz mark 1 which had a CVT (the mark 2s had a semi-auto but Honda have this year gone back to CVT). This CVT (continuously variable transmission, a type of automatic) seems to have been reliable.

Buying advice - small automatic - bear807
I used to own a 53reg Honda jazz automatic. I will definitely recommend one if it has full Honda service history with regular cvt oil change interval, you would be looking around 3-4 oil change for a 75000 miles car. The gearbox itself is quite smooth, in town usually is 1500rpm and up on motorway 2500rpm will do you almost 65-70, 3000rpm is roughly 80mph. As long as you keep below 80mph you are not stressing the engine.
Buying advice - small automatic - Happy Blue!

Anything Japanese but not European. Small European cars and Automatic gearboxes dont mix.

Buying advice - small automatic - RT

Anything Japanese but not European. Small European cars and Automatic gearboxes dont mix.

Most European cars have Japanese autoboxes - either from Aisin or Jatco !!!

Buying advice - small automatic - Happy Blue!

They may do, but do you really want the OPs mother to drive a Peugeot 206 Auto instead of a nice Hnada Jazz or Nissan Micra or Daihatsu Sirion (which I strongly recommend by the way).

Buying advice - small automatic - runboy
Agree with the Picanto - I think they topped some reliability poll recently for being a great car. We had one and it was a nice car for what it is - don't expect soft touch dashboard and seats that snuggle you up. Never went wrong, passed MOT's first time, was nippy for a 1.1 auto with two (big) people inside.

Hyundai i10 might be in your price range, they are good too.

I agree with comments on the automated manual cars - the like of the Yaris and French cars have them - basically a manual gearbox but with linkages and motors to do the same job as your left arm would normally do - not smooth and not reliable from reports but owners may say different.

DSG in the likes of VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat - I've had two and never again - too smart for their own good - last car was a 7-speed DSG Skoda Fabia - around town it was in 7th just over 30mph so coming to a roundabout it had only got down to maybe 4th, put you foot down and nowt, nothing, whilst the gearbox hamster got it's instruction book out and decided which gear to select and then you were off like a scolded cat. No matter which driving style I chose, always the same. Drove me mad (no pun intended).

But again other owners swear by them (or is that swear at them...)
Buying advice - small automatic - Avant
"But again other owners swear by them (or is that swear at them...)"

From what I've seen on here, the problems seem to be with the 7-speed dry clutch DSG, fitted to cars with smaller engines. The 6-speed wet clutch DSG, as in my Octavia, is fine.

I have absolutely no idea why VAG introduced the 7-speed version. Six is (are?) enough, especially in small cars.
Buying advice - small automatic - oldtoffee

My wife had a Kia Picanto auto which I liked a lot more than her current Fiat 500 semi auto. The Kia auto works as I expect an auto to work, instant power and pick up from starting and changes up as soon as you ease off acceleration. Good on motorways and great around town with good visibility and not overly firm suspension.

Buying advice - small automatic - bintang
I once had a .765 mm Beretta, very handy little gun.
Buying advice - small automatic - unthrottled

.765mm. That would be very small calibre indeed. Bizarre post!

Buying advice - small automatic - bintang
Yeah, should be cm not mm. Put it down to a recent massive head wound.
Buying advice - small automatic - madf
Yeah, should be cm not mm. Put it down to a recent massive head wound.

The NHS waiting lists for brain transplants are far too long.... :-)

Buying advice - small automatic - peg

I can recommend Hyundai Getz auto,just part ex mine after almost 7yr trouble free motoring. Now trying i10 manual, so back to stirring the pudding, feels strange.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Will look more into the Honda Jazz, Hyundai Getz and Smart ForFour and let you know how we get on!
Buying advice - small automatic - TR7

Daihatsu Materia is a solid auto. Wifes got one loads of room for an easy to park car. Loads of extras 10 times better than a ford and different!

Buying advice - small automatic - Max the Dog

Absolutely avoid a Toyota MMT auto. As others have said, a nasty example of the automated manual.

They are properly horrible. Nasty in use and their programming goes out all too often, which just makes them worse. Toyota should be ashamed of themselves of that 'box. Its cost them customers, and deservedly so.

Edited by Max the Dog on 24/06/2012 at 08:02