Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - memyself-aye

Approaching the first year with the Co-Op, renewal due 1st July. I posted last year how competitive their premium was at £400 odd to include my 22 year old son - his share was £200ish, not a bad cost for his first year on the road.

The renewal came through at £424 which I think is reasonable, we've had two quarters of 'good' ratings from their black box (so two part refunds of premium) and one of 'standard' (so one increase). This quarter is looking to be another refund.

I then remebered I had an SP30 in December, (the first in 22 years) and phoned the Co-Op to tell them expecting a hike in the renewal, but no, no change...phew - even the Scottish lady at their end of the phone was surprised! Needless to say I renewed before the computer changed its' mind.

A pleasant surprise in these days of punishing the motorist for every trangression.

Just got to get son to pay me back his share now...

Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - John Boy

SP30 is ?

Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - RT

SP30 is ?

Speeding !

It used to be true that insurers totally ignored one speeding offence - under pressure from the government they started loading premiums even for one speeding offence - but so many people have been unlucky enough to get one speeding ticket that this has become the new base premium.

Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - unthrottled

under pressure from the government they started loading premiums even for one speeding offence

If that's true, it is outrageous. Premiums are suposed to be calculated on actuarially determined risk+margin, not on disapproving tuts from brake.

Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - RT

under pressure from the government they started loading premiums even for one speeding offence

If that's true, it is outrageous. Premiums are suposed to be calculated on actuarially determined risk+margin, not on disapproving tuts from brake.

Well yes - but this is the real world - government does at least as much "work" behind closed doors as legislation in parliament.

Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - Bobbin Threadbare

Yes I had a Scottish SP blah blah last summer and I ended up with a rebate on my premium as my mileage had dropped a lot - I was most pleased! Used the 'spare' money to put breakdown cover on my policy for travelling into Cumbria in the depths of Hell...I mean, winter.

Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - Chris M

Co-Op will be monitoring your speed via the black box so no need to punish you for one speeding offence.

Our young driver policy is up for renewal tomorrow. £550 last year dropping to around £450 as we achieved an excellent rating. Renewal came in at £425, but that is based on an average score so could drop further this year. Of course we don't have the cost of the black box to pay this year so we would expect a drop.

However, we have moved to LV as we wanted to include business use and will add my 17yo on his provisional licence in a few weeks. Those changes brought the Co-Op premium up to LV's. The advantage of LV is no black box, although I haven't told my 18 yo son he's not being watched.

Co-Op young driver insurance renewal joy - bathtub tom

>>I haven't told my 18 yo son he's not being watched

We so much need a 'I like' tick.