Focus Estate Diesel - Ford focus timing belt - adie84
I have a focus estate with 162K on the clock that I am running into the ground. The garage who are MOTing it next week want to know whether the timing belt has been changed? I.e. if not they want to do it. I vaguely remember the dealer saying that the timing belt had just been done when I bought the car at 90K miles 4 years ago.

But if I am wrong, it is obviously way overdue for a change. However, I dont want to spend a large amount of money on the car which could effectively die on me tomorrow and need replacing, whether that be due to a snapped timing belt or something else.

So my query is, if the timing belt has survived this long, would any of you think its worth me getting it changed at this late stage or should I just leave it and just keep driving, providing it passes its MOT?

Cheers

Focus Estate Diesel - Ford focus timing belt - Peter.N.

I don't know what the change interval is on these but 72k sounds plenty, if it hadn't been changed at 90 I'm pretty sure it would have broken by now.

Focus Estate Diesel - Ford focus timing belt - Oli rag

I think it's only fair for the garage to have mentioned the belt, if it was to break during the "foot to floor" part of the emissions test, you may be a bit miffed at them.