Shoddy dealing - hillman

How many of the BRs take their wife’s, girl friends, sister’s car in to the garage for it’s service ?

I came across another nasty case of shoddy dealing. This woman takes her car into a main dealer for servicing at the recommended intervals, but when the handbrake failed only 1000 miles after a service she took it into a trusted independent in another town.

When the mechanic started to take off the back wheels he found that on one wheel two of the nuts were wound back and only prevented from falling off by a small hubcap that is a feature of the model.

Then he was unable to get the wheels off. He had to use considerable force to detach them. He said that they were corroded on and it was obvious that they had not been off for a considerable time. The back wheels have to be removed to look at the state of the brake pads.

The pads were used up, and when he tested the brake fluid the reading was in the Danger zone.

Shoddy dealing - Collos25

Anybody who takes their own car to glass palace must have more money than sense your expeience is typical of the service they provide..

Shoddy dealing - NARU

My wife arranges the servicing for her own car. It used to be a Honda dealer, became a citroen dealer and is now purely an authorised service agent for ford, honda and citroen.

The car has been going to them since they were the honda dealer (in fact it was bought from them).

Service always seems good. She always gives them my number to ring if there are any issues. Usually there is nothing extra, but this year it was £15 for an (official) honda rear wiper.

When I check the car, all the service items seem to have been done.

Shoddy dealing - Roly93

I am usually quick to criticise main dealers simply due to the prices they charge, and the fact that I have been working on cars for over 30 years.

That said, the 2 dealers we use - Ford & Audi have been generally good, the latter excellent albeit at a price.

Dealers are staffed by human beings, and if run badly with poor leadership and supervision in the workshop, this stuff happens. If only there was a way to instill pride in the work the people who service cars all could be rosy again, but unfortunately dealers have a culture of extract the max from the customer and put little back into their people both financially and morally.

I think it is the volume brands ie VX, Ford, Renault etc which have the greatest swings in goodness vs badness.

Edited by Roly93 on 27/05/2012 at 15:06

Shoddy dealing - Bobbin Threadbare

I always find a place with MOT and service offer on like Kwikfit or use an independent. I always check my car afterwards to see if it's been done; one service rendered my previous car oil-less, as they had drained but not bothered to top it back up...!

I wouldn't say this sort of thing just happened to women though!

Shoddy dealing - hillman

The first time that I came across deliberate bad practice in servicing, as opposed to careless, was in Zambia in the mid 60s. A friend took his Citroen car in for a service and watched the mechanics servicing other cars. Cars had multiple grease nipples then and the bearings had to be recharged regularly. The Hardy Spicer joints could be tricky to reach and keep the grease gun on.

The mechanic had a stick with a blob of grease on the end and was dabbing the nipples one by one, quickly. My informant checked his itemised bill carefully and rejected it because it included an item for servicing and topping up a differential. He pointed out that his car didn't have a differential being a Citroen and front wheel drive.

I later changed the rear subframe on my wife's Mini - newly aquired from her friend -and found that the needle rollers on the suspension arms were corroded into the shaft. They had never seen grease since new despite being the previous lady owner having it serviced at the recommended intervals