Oil only services - blowpipe
How long should I sensibly get away with oil/filter only services? I've got a 1996 VW Polo 1.0 in good nick,76k, which is now used for very local/travel to BR stations trips, less than 6k a year. I'm going to run it into the ground. I can do the basic checks myself (brakes/other fluids/tyres etc and fill the washer bottle, which is something I've always been charged for whether it needs it or not)and if I spot something amiss that involves more than basic maintenance I take it to the garage. For the last year I've been taking it to National Tyres for regular six monthly oil/filter changes, and this is all it needs at the moment. Am I acting wisely, or should it go to the garage annually?
Oil only services - smokie
I'm doing similar with my 98 Omega MV6. It won't ever see the light of a Vx dealer again if I have my way. I recently had the brake pads & fluid changed, also the cambelt etc. I will get parts of the car serviced by my local "little man" on an "as needed" basis (e.g. plugs etc). I get the Kwikfit £34 Mobil1 oil change every - 7k miles.

That's is not to say I will skimp on safety or costs - what I will not be doiing is paying dealer rates for some of the standard items I can do myself like "check webbing on seat belts", "check lights, fluid levels" etc
Oil only services - Andrew-T
It will (should) be going to the garage annually for an MoT. If this is done at a place you trust, get them to do the few jobs you don't want to do yourself at the same time. After all, what is there? - brake fluid, coolant and cambelt every few years, brake pads as necessary, and oil and filter each time round, if you are only doing 6Kpa.
Oil only services - blowpipe
Thanks for the advice. I reckon that, with regular common sense maintenance and checks, oil/filter is the only regular work that needs doing. I was getting fed up with paying in excess of £100 for this plus a general look around and non existent screenwash top up.