Any - Family car for under £6k challenge - GavoTheSane

I'm after a family car, under £6k, that is efficient for town journeys, good on the motorways, and has enough room for the current, rather hefty generation of rear facing car seats. Must be able to seat a 6' tall person in the passenger seat with the baby seat behind it. Can't have under floor storage, must be reliable and have a large boot. If it's a diesel it can't have a DPF.

Hit me up with your suggestions.

The only car that fits most of those criteria at the moment is a Renault Megane Estate 1.5 DCI, or a Peugeot 307 SW 1.6 HDI, but I'm rather scared of those with reliability side of things (and with the pug the DPF). I can't seem to find anything else.

Help!

Any - Family car for under £6k challenge - likerocks

Have you thought about Honda Accord Tourers? There are few under £6k. They will be fairly old or high milage but if anything can cope with that, a Honda can....

I have, but I'm pretty wary of cars over about 80,000 miles. Most in my price range tend to be the 2.0 VTECs, which aren't economical on town journeys.

Any - Family car for under £6k challenge - Avant

Toyota Verso or Mazda 5? I don't see anything in your criteria that rules out an MPV.

Go Japanese and petrol-powered for the best chance of reliabilty.

Both the Mazda 5 and the Corolla Verso are only available in 1.8 petrol or larger, not efficient for round town driving. (But cheaper to buy)

Any - Family car for under £6k challenge - barney100
Rear facing seats have caused safety concerns, for your 6 k a Volvo v70 would perhaps suit, high mileage is no problem to these cars either.