Medium Automatic Required in place of Hybrid. - pork_pie

Good morning

My parents have owned the Civic Hybrid (58) since 2009 and my father yesterday contacted me saying that he is thinking of part exchanging it for a used 2010 model with a cost to change of 9k which I thought was quite a lot and uneccessary. They love the car by virtue of the fact the road tax is cheap but to be fair they can't drive in the manner that favours hybrid driving. I secretly set the av MPG to zero when i visit them before toggling the display so it reads total mileage. When I visit a month later I check what mpg they have been getting. Never more than 40mpg. When I get the chance to drive it i get close to 60.

I think if they want to change the car, get something a bit cheaper and conventional ie one without a motor and a battery but of the same size.

I don't know what though. It has to be reliable but none of this clutchless manual variety (they had one in an Aygo and they really did not understand how it worked and it needed a new unit after 40k - i wonder why) . i had one in a diesel Yaris and I thought it was awful but thankfully I had no problems with it but decided to sell before its 3rd birthday.

i am not sure whether it should be another CVT as it promotes thrashing the engine (which is reflected in the poor mpg they have been getting in the hybrid and a previous micra that they had).

Basically a torque convertor auto or at a push another CVT. Any ideas?

Their other car is a Pixo auto - a 4 speed box effort and they are happy with it. They dont seem to be bothered with the fuel economy or the road tax......

Edited by pork_pie on 13/05/2012 at 10:47

Medium Automatic Required in place of Hybrid. - gordonbennet

Hybrid refinement is one area where Honda are years behind Toyota, at least with the cars they currently have on the road.

40ish MPG seems to be quite a normal figure the model your father has, which is way behind what a similarly driven Prius would achieve, despite the Honda having smaller petrol engines.

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to give hybrid up, but i would recommend your father tries a Prius or a Auris HSD if a smaller car is suitable, before signing up for another Honda.

Without going Diesel and its increasing complications you will not find an auto petrol car of equivalent size to touch Toyotas hybrids for overall economy and VED or refinement, albeit at some cost, unless you LPG convert a compatible petrol car.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/05/2012 at 16:25

Medium Automatic Required in place of Hybrid. - Leif

You could always nip into a newsagents and pick one of these car magazines such as Top Gear, or What Car or a car guide. Top Gear and Which do guides, though the Which one is rubbish IMO.

Medium Automatic Required in place of Hybrid. - ifekas

It is odd that people get fixated with hybrids even though they may not be cost effective for the circumstances... perhaps they like to feel that they are being green!

In this case, I would have thought something like a Hyundai i20 automatic or the Kia equivalent would be suitable; for a conventional autormatic the economy is pretty good, and the tax at 135 odd pounds isn't unreasonable (but unless the car is a guzzler the cost of the tax is probably the least significant motoring expense). The i20 should be reliable and has a good warranty. Depreciation may be higher than Japanese cars, but when you are paying less for the car in the first place, it may work out better value.

Medium Automatic Required in place of Hybrid. - nortones2

How do the parents of the OP drive, and what is their annual mileage? I'd imagine the CVT system makes it quite difficult to rugger up the mpg. Unless they drive with foot on brake, or only drive a few hundred yards at a time. In which case, why swap?

Medium Automatic Required in place of Hybrid. - Leif

It is odd that people get fixated with hybrids even though they may not be cost effective for the circumstances... perhaps they like to feel that they are being green!

If they do low mileage than they are being anti-green, as the cost of making the batteries and electric motors, and the extra weight to carry, will outweigh any savings in fuel use.

Toyota hybrids are not only about being green, they give one of the most refined and pleasurable stop start drives its possible to find this side of a petrol 6+ cylinder torque converter luxo barge, and give Diesel beating urban economy into the bargain.

They have many critis who haven't driven them.

The only way to experience this is to drive one yourself in the sort of environment i describe, they are not nor ever meant to compete with overgeared Diesels for motorway pounding, but the Diesels that excel at that don't hold a candle to a Prius in stop start unless you are into very expensive stuff with smooth autos, and then they can't cope with full time stop start due to DPF etc issues.

Apples and Oranges.

Thank you very much for your replies everyone. I do buy car mags but I feel that they are awfully biased towards certain makes. Taking everything on board, the old man would like to stick with the hybrid option but I do agree the Honda offerings are not amazing. The sole practical model in the form of the Insight, IMHO is awful. This leaves the Prius, Auris or the (his top choice) the CT200. The chances of sourcing the latter at under £17k is slim to say the least. but theres plenty of the other two on the forecourts. Thanks once again for your comments.

Went to Toyota and Honda in Manchester to see what Hybrids they had. Nothing of Toyota interested him - thought the hybrids were hideous. Saw the Insight and was repulsed. Amongst others test drove a Jazz Hybrid and thought it was alright. Did some sums and based on an annual mileage of 6k etc there was one verdict. Old man has ordered a new Honda Jazz CVT non hybdird. Job done.

Good choice, thanks for updating, always nice to hear back.