Mercedes-Benz C-Class - New car winter blues - lovelyrum

Hello all, I'm currently driving a Mercedes C Class and I'm coming to the end of my 3 year lease period in September so I'm starting to weigh up my options. I've enjoyed the car and it has served me well, providing a good mix of fun and economy but I think I'm ready for a change as I don't want to buy it, or be tied to a certain number of miles anymore.

The car has been completely useless in snow and ice until I bought some winter tyres which has made it just about passable but not ideal by any means as I like to go hiking in the nearby Yorkshire Dales. Therefore I like the idea of an all weather car, where regardless of weather I know I can get wherever I need to when need be. My budget is anywhere up to £10k. I'd quite like to try a 4x4 over winter to see if it suits me but I don't have the need for anything too big e.g. Discovery/Shogun.

The only requirement I have is plenty of driver room as I'm 6 foot 6. So far I've managed to persuade myself first to get a Land Rover Defender and then not to get a Land Rover Defender (must have been a phase!). Ideally I want something big enough to carry 4 adults and with a big boot. As I'll be trying out my all weather car over winter I seem to be drawn towards spending £4-5k on something tried and reliable e.g. Subaru Forester petrol, and if I like it keep it while saving up for a newer diesel one. And if I don't like it I won't have lost much money if I sell it after 6 months. Does this seem like a good idea and can anyone suggest any other potential options?

Many thanks!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - New car winter blues - TeeCee

A Subaru Forester is a good buy for that purpose.

If you can find one, a Skoda Octavia in 4x4 trim is also good. I had one when I was living in CZ and that would go round the mountain ski areas in the depths of winter there with no problems when fitted with winter boots.

No problem seating four and the hatch (4x4 only available on the Mk1) has a big enough boot for most purposes - it's cavernous. Newer ones only get all four wheels driven on the estate variant.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - New car winter blues - gordonbennet

Forester is an ideal vehicle probably the best choice for your needs, and you are right to spend not too much, as you really want pre 06 plate other wise you will likely be in £460 VED bracket if you have a petrol, but don't dismiss its Legacy sisters, every bit as capable especially in Outback form with raised height.

You'll still need decent tyres for the sort of motoring you intend it for, but i'd simply replace the set on it with quality snowflake marked all seasons (preferably purchased in summer when prices fair) as and when they need replacing.

At your height a Defender would be excrutiating so good job that idea is shelved, if you could get in you will be folded up with your arms bashing the doors when trying to steer and you legs jammed up under the wheel, a truly dreadful cab design, better in station wagon form as a in inch or two more seat movement.

Remember backdating the VED on 01 to 06 cars was only postponed not completely cancelled to the best of my knowledge, don't put it past a desperate bankrupt govt (term used loosely) to reinstate the original plans to bring those years into line, though unlikely we hope.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - New car winter blues - Happy Blue!

I second the Subaru route (using winter tyres as the standard Geolanders are poor on snow). However, have you looked at the Ford Maverick - getting old now, but were very good part time 4x4s in their day. Also known as the Mazda Tribute.