FIAT Croma - Opinions - TitanMike

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Fiat Croma. I spent 4 weeks flat on my back with a dodgy disc. During my visits to the Chiropractor he suggested that I changed my car. He recommended the Fiat Croma as the best vehicle for my back due to its higher driving position and ease of getting in & out. I dont know much about them & I am a bit nervous of Fiat as it doesnt seem to score highly in reliability and customer satisfaction surveys?

Can anyone offer some advice/shed some light on the Croma please, especially the diesel auto versions. Thanks in advance.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - Avant

Big Fiats have never been popular in the UK, and you'll have a job finding one (although if you do it'll be cheap). You haven't told us your budget, but I'm sure there should be a Volvo of some sort to suit it. Volvos are well-known to make the best seats in the business.

If you need a car highr off the ground, you may need to look at an MPV like the Ford C-Max or VW Touran. The Honda Jazz is much smaller but quite tall and easy to get in and out of.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - daveyK_UK

I to had reservations over Fiat reliability and quality of dealerships.However I have take some advice of 2 trusted collegues in the trade who reckon Fiats quality has steadily improved. On Monday I finalised a deal for a Fiat Qubo as a 2nd personal car for the family. I think the Fiat reputation may need re-evaluating in the near future, watch this space.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - Ald

If my memory serves me correct I recall the Croma being developed with GM, I believe it shares running gear and possibly some engines with the Vectra.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - bonzo dog

However I have take some advice of 2 trusted collegues in the trade who reckon Fiats quality has steadily improved

So have Accrington Stanley, but I wouldn't want to stick some of my hard earned into them for reliability reasons!

People buy iconic Italian (as I have done) because they enjoy driving them & they buy Fiats because they are / appear good value for money

No-one should buy Italian if reliability is an important factor

FIAT Croma - Opinions - TeeCee

He recommended the Fiat Croma as the best vehicle for my back due to its higher driving position and ease of getting in & out.

I have no idea what he's smoking. I had one on hire as a temporary fleet car a couple of years ago. I'd agree with the ease of access, but the seat's dreadful.

Not too bad on the back, average at best though, but too narrow in the squab for comfort. The raised sides would appear to be made of some weird substance that's hard and unforgiving under the thigh, yet offers no resistance at all to sideways movement.

I complained bitterly and was given a Vectra (one of the last ones, the Insignia was already out). Much better. One of the best in fact.

Best I ever had was a Land Rover Discovery. I could drive that all day without a twinge.

Edit: Agree with the above. I had a Volvo S60 on hire recently, that was excellent, although it's a bit low for getting in and out. If the seats are as good, one of their XC things ought to be ideal.

Edited by TeeCee on 09/05/2012 at 09:24

FIAT Croma - Opinions - madf

Avoid. Is my advice.

I did some research: lots of issues, Fiat dealers ignorant of them, 1.9 diesel not very good at high miles..

FIAT Croma - Opinions - thunderbird

The original Croma was a total load of rubish but since they will all have been scrapped by now I won't mention it any more.The later ones were based on a GM floor pan but were built to the usual Fiat standards and due to poor sales were not sold in the UK after about 2006.

Why your chappy said to get one is beyond my understanding, does he wear clown make up? You will certainly need his help in the future after pushing it everywhere.

Volvo have always done well in reports where seat support is vital but the only way to tell if a seat is good for you is to try it for a long (very long) test drive, we are all different and what is perfect for one person may be useless for another.

I had a Puma for several years, sporty car with sporty looking supportive seats, nearly broke my back everytime I drove it over a long distance. At the same time the wife had a bogo standard Micra, never had a problem in that even on 400 mile trips and the seats looked very basic.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - tony g
Hi,
It all depends on your budget ,however as others have said the croma has a poor reputation,I can't imagine the seats will be anything special .

If funds will stretch to it ,have you considered a Suzuki SX4 automatic ,they're nothing like the vitara or the jimny , most are front wheel drive not 4 wd.

I helped a relative buy a new one 3 years ago ,they have the high ride /seating height you need ,fuel economy is reasonable from a 1.6 petrol .build quality and specification is good .

Reliability as you would expect from Suzuki is excellent .In three years the car has required just routine servicing .

Regards

Tony g
FIAT Croma - Opinions - Happy Blue!

The best way to avoid bad backs is to buy a car which is easy to get in and out of and has decent seats. As such, anything which is higher than a standard car, but not too high will be a big help.

Depending what you need to carry will determine the size of car you buy. As already suggested, any small MPV will do if its only you and then find one with seats that suit you.

I find that if my bottom is roughly on level with the seat base, so I don't fall into the car, but slide onto the seat, then I have few back problems. The original Focus was designed with this in mind I recall.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - TitanMike

Thanks TeeCee - I guess he has never driven one based on what you are saying and is only recommending based on the raised seat height. What you say stacks up as my brother had a Fiat Idea and the seats in that were exactly as you describe. I will move on !

All the best

FIAT Croma - Opinions - grimep

I considered getting one last year as you can theoretically get a lot of car for your money, if you are serious look up the Fiat Forum which has a dedicated Croma section.

As others have said its based on a vectra so you'd think parts would be easy to come by and plentiful, but going by the other forum, owners often have to wait for special orders to arrive for common items such as brake pads.

I think Fiat only sold around 1300 cars in the UK so on the plus side you have rarity and a fairly unique format (sort of MPV meets estate), but they do look pretty dated.

As others have mentioned there are numerous reliability issues. So unless you're on a severly tight budget and willing to take a big risk, go for something more mainstream.

As for seats... Volvos and Saabs are supposed to be more supportive than the average.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - skidpan
Is
FIAT Croma - Opinions - TrevL

Agree with Tony G at 09:39 re Suzuki SX4 and seat comfort; I've got a 2WD GL petrol and covered nearly 100k in the vehicle. Seats don't look anything special but are extremely comfortable for me.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - Bobbin Threadbare

My old Ford Focus had the comfiest seats. I once did a run to Skye (from Lancashire) in one go (well except loo breaks) and I didn't get a numb backside at all!

FIAT Croma - Opinions - injection doc

Best I ever had was a Land Rover Discovery. I could drive that all day without a twinge.

I aggree with Teecee

I have a collapsed vertebre due to a serious wedge fracture few years ago and the only car I can sit on for hours on end is a landrover auto.

I had to give my Jag up altogether ! usually driving more than 40 mins and my back is on fire but in the Landrover 11.5 hrs non stop is my best from the Med home, so says it all really. I think the auto helps no end as there is no twisting in the seat whilst driving.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - Roly93

Wasn't this one of the fastest depreciating new cars ever to hit the UK ?

FIAT Croma - Opinions - bathtub tom

What car's the chiropractor trying to sell?

;>)

FIAT Croma - Opinions - Dutchie
I have had two Fiat puntos the 1.2 model and the 1.9 Diesel .Comfortable seats and had both cars serviced by a good independent garage.
FIAT Croma - Opinions - Armitage Shanks {p}

Fast-depreciating cars make bargain second-hand buys
That’s why cars such as Peugeot 407 saloon, which lose three- quarters of their value by their third ‘birthday’, are excellent value second-hand at around £4500 for a 06-reg 70,000-mile 2.0 diesel. Ford Mondeo estates, which have lost over two-thirds of their new value at a similar age are fantastic buys, too. £4200 gets a 06-reg 77,000-mile 2.0 LX from a dealer.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - Halmer
I've had two ops on a slipped disc. My Qashqai was by far the most comfortable car I've owned, primarily because of the upright nature of the seats rather than their quality or design. I've got an Audi a4 now and I find it uncomfortable. Wrong choice for me.
FIAT Croma - Opinions - Bilboman

As well as comfortable seats, something also very important which is often overlooked is the head restraints. Very few cars offer any kind of adjustment beyond a basic up and down and I've suffered terrible back and neck problems for the last four years in a company Focus, but never had any problems with a previous Astra. The problem with the Focus (and a Touran I've had on hire for the past week) is that the head restraint angle is simply WRONG (wrong for me at least, but then I have scoliosis and arthritis so perhaps I'm just an unusual shape!) and it can NOT be changed. (FAIL!) It is tilted forward at a steep angle and either it repeatedly hits the top of my head on every uneven road surface, or else I recline the seat back and manage to keep my spine and neck in a smooth curve which makes my various pains worse. Head restraints can (but should not) be removed and if there's no adjustment built in, you may be stuck with an uncomfortable posture for a long time.

FIAT Croma - Opinions - Oldergit

My father has a Croma and they are excellent with regards entry and exit as the seats are just at the right height to slide into the car without having to lower or raise yourself to the seat height. I would love to find a site that gives this measurement from the ground to the seat so it would be possible to find a car with similar seat heights. With an ageing population I would expect this to be something of greater interest.

The car itself is extremely responsive and economical on a long run (diesel Eleganza). However reliability is an issue having the alternator and battery going within four years of purchase on a low mileage of about 6000 miles a year.

They are no longer available in the UK and are very cheap secondhand and I would say anyone with mobility problems should have a look at one of these just for the ease of entry/exit.