Reliable/fuel efficient auto for around £2000? - hallington

I drive a citroen xsara 1.8 estate auto which I have loved for it's speed and load carrying, but it's 14yrs old and only does 20ish in urban. I have been trying to save after recently moving house, but only saved £1500. I have been looking at the Honda Jazz as an alternative, but don't think I can afford one? any recommendations, I do 500 mile round trips every couple of mths, but most of the time it's just across the midland.

Reliable/fuel efficient auto for around £2000? - Avant

Welcome to the forum.

I think that if your Xsara is going well you should hang on to it until it needs a prohibitively expensive repair.

Buying any car for £2,000 is a gamble: you may be lucky but you may also buy something needing repairs which negate any savings you might make in fuel costs.

Edited by Avant on 06/04/2012 at 11:07

Reliable/fuel efficient auto for around £2000? - hallington

Thanks Avant, it is a good car, but the cambelt hasn't been done since 70000 and it's on 125k so probably less than £5000 to go according to the manual. It needs a new radiator £200+, the starting motor is a bit iffy and the auto gear box slips around 40. But other than that she has virtually no rust and an egine like a trojan!