SAAB 9-3 - cat D insurance write off - millygrace

Can anybody help, I recently part ex my car with £500 for a car at a garage, Then two days later after the deal had been done and dusted and having the new car for two days the garage has phoned up saying my old car, in the past was at some point a CATD write off which I new nothing about, they are asking for an extra £500 where do I stand

SAAB 9-3 - cat D insurance write off - unthrottled

I think that a Cat D write-off is something that a private owner would be expected to know about (as opposed to a technical fault-which they wouldn't), even if the car was repaired and re-registered prior to their ownership. As such I think the garage are entitled to say that your p/ex is not as described.

SAAB 9-3 - cat D insurance write off - RT

I think that a Cat D write-off is something that a private owner would be expected to know about (as opposed to a technical fault-which they wouldn't), even if the car was repaired and re-registered prior to their ownership. As such I think the garage are entitled to say that your p/ex is not as described.

But a private owner would only know of a Cat D history if they'd had an HPI-type check done when they bought the car. You may not recommend it but many people buy used cars without getting an HPI-type check - I've never had one done and I don't think I'm that unique.

So is it really reasonable to say that "a private owner would be expected to know about" ?

SAAB 9-3 - cat D insurance write off - unthrottled

Ah, I think it is Cat C that has "Cat C" recorded on the V5 because the V5 has to be returned to the DVLA. A Cat D has no structural damage and is just a repair. Providing OP didn't lie to a direct question, it appears that (s)he is in the clear. My mistake!