Saxo 1.1 1997 3 stud wheels - Front brake imblance driver side - stuwba
Hi

I recently took my car for mot and failed on the imbalance on driver side 32% so we bled the brakes and returned to find it failed again at 30% this time checked caliper to find it had seized, so replaced the caliper bled the brakes and took it for retest to find that it was now at 40% so very confused at the moment.

Caliper was second hand and my mechanic didnot change the pads or disks on either side.

Planning on changing disks and pads on front changing flexi pipe and draining whole system and putting fresh brake fluid in ? Any suggestions from anyone else as to what the problem could be ?

Your help will be very much appreciated
Saxo 1.1 1997 3 stud wheels - Front brake imblance driver side - gordonbennet

Caliper might now be free, but has the geezer physically pumped the piston out a bit to see it working correctly?

Assuming its moving freely, did he clean up properly and lubricate the caliper slider, i recall these a being single piston jobbie with slider to equalise wear between inner and outer pad.

If all is moving freely, bleed the brakes all round if you haven't done so already, have you checked the rear cylinders, they might be (indeed are prone to) leaking leading to poor pedal and poor bleeding.

Oh and has someone looked at the inner face of the low effort disc....it might be grooved and pitted through lack of use.

It sounds to be like the whole braking system could do with a strip, clean inspect and replace as needed and lubricate properly on reassembly...i say that because someone went to the trouble of bleeding the brakes without checking the obvious.

Hi had one of the rear brakes fail on me recently was leaking had the part replaced witha brand new one we are going to change front disks and pads and flush the entire system this friday

Hope it works, don't forget to clean that slider well and lubricate it with the correct brake grease.

have now changed both disks and pads bled the system and checked both calipers which are both free moving with no problems at all, when bleeding no problem with the fluid coming out, there was a little bit of air in the driver side caliper, if it were to fail the mot again tommrow then i have no idea where to go from there.

Saxo 1.1 1997 3 stud wheels - Front brake imblance driver side - madf

I had problems with an old Fiesta with barke imbalance: turrned out to be front flexi hoses disintegrating internally. Changed them and solved it.

(Took some thinking about : I wrote it down and worked it out from scratch)

my mechanic says there is sufficent fluid coming through the system and fluid has started coming through clear when bled as we made sure that there was enough fresh fluid coming through when bled with no bits or rubbish in the fluid

hi just had the break imbalance checked and there is now only an 8% imbalance well below the threshold and will now pass the MOT thanks for everyones input has been a great help

Saxo 1.1 1997 3 stud wheels - Front brake imblance driver side - madf

Well done..

Good man, and thanks for coming back with the result.