Peugeot 306 Replacement Engine - jim w
I've just been told my a garage that the problems I've been encountering with my 306 (97 D Turbo, only 54k miles) mean that I need a new engine.

Basically the problem was that the engine was losing coolant, and the head gasket went. I had anticipated that this would cost a few hundred pounds to mend but have just been told taht it can't be mended, and a replacement engine will cost 2.8k!!!

Any suggestions as to what I should do would be appreciated.

I figure that the car is probably worth 3.5 - 4k - is it worth getting the work done and keeping it for another couple of years? (I've for four, and it has started to cost me a fair bit over pasy couple of years). Or should I cut my losses and get rid of it (possibly being able to trade it in for a new one, if a garage is willing to accept a car in such a condition!

Hope someone out there can offer some useful advice.

ta

Jim
Peugeot 306 Replacement Engine - madf
That suggests the engine block/pistons/etc are seriously damaged: unusual: usually head just needs skimming.

Have they told you what is wrong with engine? They should do.. in writing.

IF the engine is seriously knackered, a second hand one from a breaker or a recon one from a reputable supplier should be £500- £1,000.

Frankly I distrust garages in principle and they should give you a written report.. or go elsewhere.. If the car is not mobile (stripped and they have you at their mercy?) ask them for a cheaper alternative. If they say none, then you know they are just trying to rip you off.

All imo..
madf
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go round to the garage in a few minutes and ask a few more questions!

I've had a quote from another garage for a reconditioned engine - a grand (fitted). Think I'll go with that option. I just hope that the garage haven't started stripping the engine already!

Thanks again

Jim
Peugeot 306 Replacement Engine - M.M
Jim,

Yes you do need to ask more about what has happened to the old engine.

But do be wary of having an engine fitted all in for £1K...they can't be done properly for that.

The only firm I trust to do recons want £1500 plus carriage for your engine...add in a new clutch, fluids and fitting...you're getting up to £2K.

If you're going the budget route why not get a warranted used unit fitted?

I'm NOT trying to offer it to you but in a week a customer is sending a Citroen ZX TD (with the same engine as yours in good running order) to auction. He would take £250 for the whole car! An engine sourced like this could be swapped into yours for about £500 total cost.

MM

MM

Thanks for your reply. How many miles has the Citroen done? Sounds too good to be true to be able to get it for 250!

Would a new clutch also be needed with this?

Do you have your own garage then for this type of job?

Cheers

Jim
Jim,

I never seek work from this forum and was only mentioning it as an example of a way out for you.

I fully sympathise with the position you find yourself in and just thought a roughly rebuilt lump may be a complete waste of a grand....hence the decent used unit route.

As you ask I will mention that the ZX TD is in West Cambs. The vehicle still has a longish MOT and is taxed but it needs a starter motor, new power steering rack plus other suspension repairs. The owner has bought a really nice Xantia TD and now just wants to see the ZX off the drive...hence the realistic price which makes it affordable just for the engine.

I do not routinely become involved in engine changes because I ensure customers buy decent cars and then regular maintenance means the engine will last the life of the vehicle!!

MM
Peugeot 306 Replacement Engine - Andrew-T
The labour costs will depend heavily on where your garage is. My daughter had a recon engine in her 205 when the cambelt went 5 years ago. £550 all in, Carlisle.
Andrew,

Regardless of labour costs the point I was making was that I don't think you can get the correct parts and machining with fitting included for £1000....not to warrant the word reconditioned as we understand it.

For that price there would be many old parts left untouched that should be replaced.

I'm afraid there is rather a lot of second hand stuff cleaned or minimum repaired and then fitted as a "full" recon unit.

I was asked to examine a "reconditioned" transmission on a French car the other day. Drained off the oil and it was dirty with bits of metal in it. Asked around locally and found the suppliers are known for buying up damaged units, repairing just the obvious fault, cleaning/spraying the casing and fitting as recon units with 12mths warranty....but you try and get them to change a dodgy one!!

As a matter of interest they undercut the main dealers by £500...only charging £1300 for effectively a used transmission worth perhaps £250.

Nice work if you have no concience!

MM
Peugeot 306 Replacement Engine - Andrew-T
MM - you are probably correct, as I would assume the engine my daughter got would have been from a scrapyard. Not necessarily a duff result, and presumably an option in the present case.
Peugeot 306 Replacement Engine - FFX-DM
Hey Jim, if you do end up buying a 2nd hand Citroen ZX just to get the engine, and it's an 'Aura' or 'Avantage' model, giz an email (fairfax.drummers@ecws.co.uk) because I am after some parts and perhaps we can do a deal to reduce your costs even further? :-)

Andrew,

Agreed, a good result to get a useable car back on the road for £500...and really that was the direction I was trying to point Jim in.

It's just that I'm *very* anti the guys who pass off the used or repaired gear as reconditioned. Sometimes they even put it in tiny small print on their ads that "checked used units may be substituted where appropriate". Then the reality is that 99% of the stuff they supply is to that low standard and the heading "Reconditioned Engines" was never really justified.

MM