BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - dipz946

I recieved my brand new BMW on Thursday evening, on the way home, I noticed the the speed dial wouldnt move passed 29mph, even though I was driving faster.

I called up the dealer, who told me to test it again in all the modes, which I did, and noticed I was doing 40mph and the dial would show 20mph.

We called up again, and said this is unacceptable, I had children in the car, we have speed cameras, and it is unsafe to travel with the car. I said I would bring the car in the following day. The service department said they had no availability until Wednesday,m which I said was not happening, and I wanted it fixed asap. upon 10 mins of ranting and raving, they agreed to let em bring it in on friday morning. As I was at work, and the only one under the insurance policy, this was a hugew inconvenience. Having added him on, he went to the dealer and they gave him a courtesy car.

I recieved a call later saying we could keep the car until mine was fixed , which would be late the following week, as the car was new, they had no parts, hence had to be ordered. Upon thinking further and talking through with collegues, I realised I was not confident in having the same car, and wanted a replacement.

I origionally wanted to buy the Alfa Romeo, and due to the reliability we decided to go with the BMW. This has not proved well so far. I explained this to the dealer, and they said inorder to refuse the car they have 3 attempts to fix the problem before they can decide to take it back.

Im not confident and happy with taking the car back now, as I cant afford having more problems with the car, and Im upset that I have paid 22K for a car for a fault. if i wanted a car with a fault, i could have had a second hand car.

I would appreciate any advice you could give in rejecting this car, as I am desperate for a replacement.

thanks

Dipz946

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Collos25

You have not a cat in hells chance of getting another car but perhaps you will be able to negotiate some monetary reward such as a free service.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Avant

Agreed - you have to give the dealer a chance to replace the faulty part. If the car is OK after this your confidence in it may be restored. As Collos says, maybe you can get a gesture of goodwill from the dealer.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Pat L

I would question the thoroughness of the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) - what else did they miss? Did they even do a PDI?

Kick up a fuss. This fault should have been spotted and resolved before you picked the car up.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Roly93

I would question the thoroughness of the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) - what else did they miss? Did they even do a PDI?

I thought the only action performed on the PDI was to pump all of the tyres up to between 40 and 50 PSI at random !

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - unthrottled

I thought the only action performed on the PDI was to pump all of the tyres up to between 40 and 50 PSI at random !

Not at all. The dealer must also ensure that all the wheel bolts have a dab of loctite applied and subsequently overtightened with an air gun.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - bonzo dog

Hi Dipz, bad news having a fault on any car let alone a brand new one. Unfortunately no manufacturer can guarantee a faultless car, just that they will fix it.

Of course the law does say you can ask for a replacement or refund ...... it's just that you have to go to court to obtain this.

Ignore what the dealer says about 3 attempts to fix it, it's not up to him, it's up to the court. The thing is..... are you prepared to go to court?

Good luck

PS Serious question - If reliability was important why did you go for a BMW?

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - gordonbennet

Its hardly life threatening or a serious fault, you realised the speedo was faulty so used your judgement....you could have popped a sat nav on the dash and read the speed off that for a day or two, i would have done that till the parts arrived, but if you are happy with the courtesy car then so be it.

They should have picked the fault up but then some people would compain when their new car came with 50 miles on the clock because someone had road tested it properly, how should a car be driven on road test, does the mechanic take it up to 140mph to check its stability and blast it round a test track to check the handling and brakes?

Difficult to see how a PDI could otherwise pick the fault up with the car sitting on ramps and bloke in overalls going over the set routine.

Fair question from BD in the post above about reliability and choice of make.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - bazza

Best to try and keep it in perspective. Although irritating, it's only a minor fault - as GB says I would also have lived with it until they called me with a convenient appointment. Although mildly irritating, you will just waste time and stress yourself out by trying to reject the car at this time. A brand new car has thousands of parts, complex systems and complex software, the odd bug is inevitable, even in the most advanced manufacturing environments - and you have a 3 year warranty for that kind of thing.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - focussed

"Best to try and keep it in perspective"-Hmmmm, try this perspective:-

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

"every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately"

For a BMW dealership to supply a new vehicle which was not road legal because the speedo didn't work is incredibly lax,bearing in mind the current obsession with speed and speed limits. What would have been the outcome if the driver had been fined or banned because he had unwittingly exceeded a speed limit?

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - ChannelZ

But, hang on, I thought BMW were a quality brand, surely this fault would have been picked up in the factory, and during the PDI road test?

Or, in reality, BMW are overpriced cars and the dealers don't give two hoots.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Collos25

That about sums it up its the dealers who could not give a s*** they use a contract company to get them clean and thats it. But the OP is getting worked up over nothing does not really want the car for whatever reason.

For a BMW dealership to supply a new vehicle which was not road legal because the speedo didn't work is incredibly lax,bearing in mind the current obsession with speed and speed limits. What would have been the outcome if the driver had been fined or banned because he had unwittingly exceeded a speed limit?

He would have argued the case that with a malfunctioning speedometer in a brand new car, a reasonable driver could not accurately determine the speed, or even be aware that the speedo was faulty. Any magistrate would accept this argument-if an independent assessor could verify the fault.

Some posters do not seem understand quality control of complex machines actually works. it is impossible to have a zero probability of a component malfunctioning. Each BMW has thousands of parts and they sell thousands of cars. If only 1 part in 10,000 is faulty there will be hundreds of new cars with faults. That's life.

The dealer should be given a chance to repair the speedo. This sounds like buyer's remorse to me.

"If only 1 part in 10,000 is faulty there will be hundreds of new cars with faults. That's life."

That's the attitude that killed the UK car industry and ensured that Japanese companies, who have a much more robust attitude to QA, have the reputation for having better reliability, in particular of electrical/electronic components.

That's the attitude that killed the UK car industry and ensured that Japanese companies, who have a much more robust attitude to QA,

Japan's share of the British market is quite small-and falling.

And they themselves are being killed by being undercut by cheaper Korean competition. Quality control costs money. The average British consumer is not a sophisticated soul. He spends his money on stuff that he can see like privacy glass and 27" 'alloys'. He is not willing to spend money on quality components that are out of sight and out of mind. You have to play the market for what it is, not what you think it ought to be!

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - skidpan

I origionally wanted to buy the Alfa Romeo, and due to the reliability we decided to go with the BMW.

So you have changed your mind and have decided you really wanted the Alfa. You plan to use a faulty speedo to reject the car. Best of luck, you will need it especially if you get the Alfa.

Personally I have had a 1 series for 4 years now, only problem was a faulty battery which was replaced under wrarranty without an argument.

Suggest you know what you really want next time before committing yourself to an expensive purchase.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - warsaw boy
You are lucky to have a courtsey car. My BMW/Mini dealer never has any..... We can have a car for you in 3 weeks time ..... I had 3 different oil leaks on my 1 yo Mini all fixed in 2 days as they had no spare parts. Thats 6 days off road + lots of walking. The problem is they are big BMW dealers with Mini on the side so guess where all the courtsey cars go.
BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Sulphur Man

Hmmm, sounds like a garage bumping along the financial bottom.

I wonder if it's the BMW one near where we live, part of a group of three, with a name based on a noble title.

That sales group almost went to the wall in in early 2010. They went cap-in-hand to BMW UK for assistance, but were refused. Basically they ended shutting half the operation on one side of the road, and firing a few people people. All the FOH sales people look fresh out of 6th form college now.

I got this info from the next door neighbour, a BMW diehard who bought an used/approved X5 last year and has had the garage out bi-monthly to fix electrical gremlins. Their disgruntled technicians sing like canaries.

"And they themselves are being killed by being undercut by cheaper Korean competition. Quality control costs money."

Yes, we can see that in the current Warranty Direct top 100 reliability figures:-

There is one korean car in the top ten, the Picanto, admittedly first, of the rest, 7 are of Japanese design or origin.

Of the bottom ten:- there is one Japanese and one Korean the rest is the usual dross.

quod erat demonstrandum

I,in common with most experienced car owners, just want a car that performs well, is stylish, has reasonable economy, is properly engineered, has good dealer and parts backup, and that when it's started on a cold morning the dashboard doesn't look like the instrument panel in the control module of Apollo 13 just after they said "Houston we have a problem"-

Bitter experience has taught me that the car just has to be from a Japanese manufacturer-is all.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - V4 Heaven

Our Alfa Romeo Mito has been fault free for 2 years/20,000 miles. No DPF faffs either. Sell it and go with your heart, not your head!

Of the bottom ten:- there is one Japanese and one Korean the rest is the usual dross.

quod erat demonstrandum

You've demonstrated nothing. I didn't dispute Japanese reliability, I disputed that the average consumer was wiling to pay for Japanese reliability. Sales figures back my point.

Car sales figures for 2011 (up to october) Source:www.am-online.com/new-car-sales-figures/

1. Ford 13.81%

2. Vauxhall. 12.09

3. VW 9.22

4. Audi 5.92

5. BMW 5.91

6.Peugeot 4.99

7.Nissan. 4.95

8. Mercedes benz

9. Toyota

10. Renault

If we lump margues into ther associated groups (GM, PSA, VAG), the situation is even more stark:

1. VAG 19.3%

2.Ford 13.81

3.GM 12.71

4. BMW 5.91

5. Nissan 4.95

6. MB. 4.21

7. Toyota 3.72

8. Renault 3.54

9. Hyundai 3.20

10. Kia 2.83

Nissan's sales have been boosted by sales of cashcows and jokes which share a lot of parts with Renault. Long term reliability may not be up to tradiational Japanese standards.

So, in summary, the average consumer is not interested in Japanese reliability preferring either economy US brands or feature heavy prestige European brands.

QED.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - jc2

Don't confuse "made in Japan" with "made by a Japanese Company".

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Avant

True - Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas made outside Japan are made to the same high standards as those in Japan. There's nothing wrong with the British workforce (or French - my daughter has had four trouble-free Yarises): it's management that make quality control policies for manufacture, assembly and sourcing of components.

It would be nice to think that after all the advice given, the OP would come back to us and tell us the outcome - but (s)he probably won't.

BMW new 1 Series - new 1 series, gieven to me with a fault - Auristocrat

Back in February, Auto Express published the SMMT UK Retail sales Top 20 for 2011 - which excludes fleet sales and gives a more accurate picture of what the 'average consumer' buys.The retail sales chart is as follows, with each model's position in the overall table in brackets:

1. Ford Fiesta (1); 2. Vauxhall Corsa (3); VW Polo (7); 4. Ford Focus (2); 5. Mini (10); 6. VW Golf (4); 7. Fiat 500 (16); 8. Vauxhall Astra (5); 9. Nissan Juke (19); 10. Renault Clio (18); 11. Ford Ka (33); 12. Peugeot 207 (12); 13. Honda Jazz (22); 14. Hyundai i10 (25); 15. Toyota Yaris (32); 16. BMW 3-series (8); 17. Citroen C1 (36); 18. Audi A1 (31); 19. Mercedes E-class (15); 20. Nissan Qashqai (9).