Ford Fiesta - 1987 Fiesta no spark from coil - smws1976

Hi, my brother has a 1.4 1987 Fiesta with a no-points distributor.

Yesterday it broke down while driving.

There was no spark from the coil so today i bought a new coil and it ran straight away perfectly.

When he went back to it later to go out again it started and ran perfectly but when he changed to second gear it cut out and now there's no spark from the brand new coil again.

Any ideas? Any help would really be appreciated.

Steve

Ford Fiesta - 1987 Fiesta no spark from coil - elekie&a/c doctor

This has very basic electronic ignition with ignition amplifier bolted to side of dizzy.Check the contacts in the 3 pin connector to the dizzy.Black wire is ignition power,brown is earth and green is the switched circuit from coil.hth

Thanks for the reply. How do i test the contacts, and if i test it and something's wrong how can i fix it? Will it be a fuse if theres no power to the contacts?

Cheers,Steve

Ford Fiesta - 1987 Fiesta no spark from coil - Railroad.

Checking these are very easy if you have a multimeter. There are two systems fitted to these, Lucas and Bosch, the latter being more common but the checking procedures are identical.

1. Connect your voltmeter red lead to the positive side of the coil and the black lead to battery negative. Switch on the ignition and you should see around 12v. Crrank the engine to make sure you still have 12v on cranking. If you don't you'll need to establish why you have no feed to the coil, but you could confirm this by using a jump wire from battery + to coil + and then see if the engine starts.

2. If the above is ok connect your red lead to coil negative. Make sure the coil is still connected and crank the engine. You are now checking to see if the coil is switching. This is where it will be a little bit confusing so I will try to explain. The coil switches on and off four times per rotation, and so it will switch from 12v to 0v continously as the engine turns. A digital multimeter cannot react to this change fast enough to keep up with it, and so if the coil is switching you should be reading either a fluctuating voltage or it will settle somewhere between 12v and 0v. A meter with duty cycle would be the best type to use but I am assuming you don't have one. You could also use a test lamp which if was was flashing would indicate the coil is switching, and if it's on continuous would indicate it isn't switching.

3. If you've established that the the coil is not switching then the ignition module is most likely the cause. Remove the ignition module from the side of the distributor body. You will see two pins coming up from inside the distributor. These come from the inductive pickup. These rarely fail but to check it connect your multimeter leads to each of the two pins. Set the meter to Ohms and you should read between 150 and 1500 Ohms. Then switch your meter to AC volts and crank the engine. You should read upwards of 0.5v AC while cranking.

If this is ok and the coil is not switching then the module is faulty and needs to be replaced. Make sure you smear some heat insulating compound on the back of the new module which is usually supplied. If you don't your new module will fail prematurely. Hope it helps.

Ford Fiesta - 1987 Fiesta no spark from coil - jc2

Make sure you have a coil for electronic ignition-12v;the earlier Fiesta with points had an 8v coil and a resistor in the wiring loom.An 8v coil would fail quite quickly with continuous 12v.

Ford Fiesta - 1987 Fiesta no spark from coil - Fernando P

"Well done" to Railroad for making the effort to set out such a well explained and informative response to the problem that was presented. This demonstrates that there is a wealth of technical talent available for the benefit of readers of the "HJ Technical matters" forum.

Thanks Railroad, Fantastic advice!

After testing the module and found it faulty we replaced it and now the car runs perfectly with no problems!

People like yourself really do make the world a better place and confirm to us that there are good people out there.

Steve

Ford Fiesta - 1987 Fiesta no spark from coil - aljucer

Hello ! fantastic explanation.

From Spain . Glad to know this forum

see you