VW Golf mk3 - Reverse gear selection problems - s lyle

I have a problem when selecting reverse gear on my Golf.

On selecting reverse with the engine switched on, sometimes there is a slight crunching noise. The crunching noise is not there with the engine turned off and this problem does not occur in any other gear. However the gear selection is sometimes not that smooth, "lumpy" would be a good description. The car has covered 120k miles, but is regularly serviced. It is a 1996 1.6 MK3 , engine code AEE and the gearbox is a 02k. I have spoken to a colleague at work and he thinks it may be the gearbox linkage cables ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

S.

I'm going to have a good look at the adjustment of the cables between the gear lever and the gearbox this weekend. The only other non expensive option that I can think of is the clutch cable adjustment.

Any other suggestions anybody ?

S.

VW Golf mk3 - Reverse gear selection problems - Peter.N.

Reverse is the only gear that doesn't have synchromesh so it has to be motionless to engage, your problem will be with the clutch not fully disengaging. If its adjustable that should do it.

VW Golf mk3 - Reverse gear selection problems - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I've always crunched reverse on every car I've ever driven, 'cos I've only got short little legs and often don't fully push down the clutch pedal! Peter N is right, because there's no synchro on reverse, push down the clutch and just wait half-a-second to let the gears spin down before selecting reverse. Do as I say, not as I do!

Peter N and MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom,

Thanks very much for your advice.

I will let you know how I get on after this weekend.

Thanks,

S.

I got the clutch replaced yesterday and no more noises when selecting reverse.

Many thanks to those who replied to my post.

S.

VW Golf mk3 - Reverse gear selection problems - LaurelHouse

I'm going to have a good look at the adjustment of the cables between the gear lever and the gearbox this weekend. The only other non expensive option that I can think of is the clutch cable adjustment.

Any other suggestions anybody ?

S.

I had a similar problem with my VW Golf 1992 Diesel. Gearstick became loose and erratic. Sometimes couldn't engage reverse, Sometimes 4th coming in as 2nd, no 5th, etc.

In my case the solution was simple. In the engine compartment where the linkages are there's a small piece of plastic with a cup at each end which holds together two ball joints. If you can see naked ball joints then this could be your problem. Push the plastic back into place if you can, or replace it - it will take your local VW dealer a couple of days to order in the part number IH0711595 (you need a magnifying glass to read the number!) . Add a little vaseline to the ball joints before you snap the plastic caps back into place.