Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - Auristocrat

Toying with replacing our second car (2007 Mazda 2), and have seen on the Skoda site that they are offering the Fabia SE with the 1.4 MPI engine (85bhp). I thought that VAG had replaced the 1.4 engine with their Tsi turbo-charged engines. Has anyone got any feedback on the 1.4 MPI as regards problems, reliability, etc.

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - Avant

Not on the Fabia - I think the 1.4 TSI with 122 bhp is only available on the Octavia. The Audi A1 is the only supermini VAG offer with this engine. The 1.2 TSI with 105 bhp is presumably thought to be fast enough for the Fabia - certainly livelier than the 85 bhp 1.4.

I suppose there must be a finite number of engines that VAG can produce, although I can't quite see the point of the 85 bhp 1.4.

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - daveyjp
The 1.4 and 1.6 MPI have been around for years, the current version of the 1.4 has 16v.

I suspect the offer is to get rid of these models as the 1.4MPI is no longer available, the 1.2 is now in the entry level models.

Simple engines generally mean little trouble if they are looked after.

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - Auristocrat

I was particularly thinking of the 1.2 Tsi (in 85bhp and 105bhp versions) rather than the 1.4 Tsi. The 1.4 MPI hasn't been listed since April 2010, but has just re-appeared in one model only.

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - Avant

If you like the idea of a Fabia, go for the 1.2 105 bhp. The Fabia is a useful size - a bit bigger than most superminis - but it needs a correspondingly more powerful engine.

I think the 1.2 is one of the more efficient petrol engines, so unless mileage is going to be high there's no great advantage in getting a diesel.

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - Big John

They ran a similar special offer with the Octavia using the very old 1.6 8v MPI engine last used in early MKI Octavias - not related to the 1.6fsi. Good reliable and very long lived engine though - rather high CO2 though.

The 1.416v MPI (not related to the early MKI Fabia 1.4 8v MPI) has been regarded as a problem engine in the past with premature piston failure and dodgy plastic timing belt pulleys. Saying that I have this engine in a 2001 1.4 16V (75bhp) Octavia which has been great from new(and still is) - now 100k. Timing belt always changed at 4 years and I have always used higher performance petrol (97-99 RON) where possible - usually Shell Optimax/VPower(improvement in economy nearly covers the extra cost)- using 95 Ron they tend to have a touch of pre-ignition which will eventually cause damage. MPG on a run usually mid to late 40's mpg. My Father-in-law borrowed it and thought the fuel gauge was bust - he got 52mpg on a trip from Yorkshire to Hampshire. It's also always been surprisingly nippy

However am considering the 1.2tsi Octavia for my next car as I am fed up with many friends having major and expensive DPF issues with diesels from assorted manufacturers - not just on around town driven cars. I also want to avoid electronic handbrakes as I know someone that had a well into 4 figure bill just to replace rear brake callipers!! I also may change my spots as Hyundai are producing some interesting cars now which look very appealing along side that 5 year warranty.

Avoid the OLD 1.2 3 cylinder non-turbo engine at all costs.

The 1.2tsi is a new and totally different 4 cylinder 8v engine.

Edited by Big John on 15/01/2012 at 22:10

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - unthrottled

Using 95 Ron they tend to have a touch of pre-ignition which will eventually cause damage.

A 'touch of pre-ignition' will torch a piston crown in seconds. Do you mean a touch of detonation? There might be a touch of detonation under sustained WOT. The knock sensor will soon pick it up and retard the timing to get rid of it.

Save your money with regard to super fuels and n/a engines. Especially in winter.

Sorry confused "pre-ignition" with "detonation"

Basically with my Octavia 1.4 16V if you use 95 RON petrol if you listen carefully you can detect (very faint) a slight "pinking" under certain driving conditions.

It has been like this from new - took it back initially but no fault found - was told they all do it. Forums are littered with postings about this engine with lunched pistons, am presuming the fact I have almost always used higher Octane fuel and mine has done 100k without incident MAY be related

Edited by Big John on 15/01/2012 at 22:32

The knock sensor should detect knocking before it becomes audible to the driver.

With 4 valves and an aluminium block, the engine shouldn't ping in typical British weather.

I can't get my iron block, 2 valver to ping-and I use as much throttle as possible. If it was pinging, they should have addressed it.

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - skidpan

With 4 valves and an aluminium block, the engine shouldn't ping in typical British weather.

I can't get my iron block, 2 valver to ping-and I use as much throttle as possible. If it was pinging, they should have addressed it.

I know it may surprise you but the 1.4 TSi has an iron block, it surprised me when we were looking. No idea if the 1.2 TSi is the same, it wasn't available at the time.

1.4Mpi 8v is Iron

The 1.4 MPI 16V is aluminium.

1.2 TSi is also aluminium

1.4TSi is Iron

Skoda Fabia - VAG 1.4MPI engine - ear8dmg

The current 1.4 MPI should not be confused with the original MK1 Fabia 1.4 MPI. That was an old Skoda (pre-VW) 8v chain cam engine, a modified version of the 1.3 one in the Felicia. 68 BHP if I recall correctly (used to own one)

That old one was very reliable but drank fuel for fun.

Edited by ear8dmg on 15/01/2012 at 23:45

Indeed - It should be noted that the old 8v Skoda (pre VW) 1.4MPI is not overhead cam. The 1.4 used also to have head gasket & cooling problems

Didn't know the 1.4tsi was an iron block though. I know the higher powered turbo & super charged engines have had past problems, any reliability reports on the lower power (122) version?

Edited by Big John on 16/01/2012 at 23:47