lack of power in citroen bx diesel - rustovision
I'm experiencing a lack of power in my Citroen BX 1.7 diesel, (1990, 170,000 miles). On the flat it moves along ok with a maximum speed of 55-60mph, but when I hit even small hills it struggles at 35-40mph.
I've just changed the air and oil filter and the oil, and it's just had a new cam belt, but the problem still exists before and after these changes. Fuel consumption is fine, there's no loss of oil and it starts ok.
Any ideas of what the problem is?
lack of power in citroen bx diesel - David Davies
This car should have a maximum speed of more than 60mph! As a first and basic check I'd make sure the throttle cable is OK and that you obtain full travel on the injection pump fuel control lever when pedal is fully depressed.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Yep 60mph is pretty poor for this car...
I've checked throttle and the travel seems ok, someone mentioned the breather pipes which I haven't checked yet

Pete
lack of power in citroen bx diesel - M.M
Tried a new fuel filter?

MM
lack of power in citroen bx diesel - chris p crisps ©
Or drained fuel filter / water trap

chris
Fuel filter is next on the list of things to sort, but is draining it fairly straight forward?
lack of power in citroen bx diesel - JohnD
To reach the drain plug on the bottom of the fuel filter is difficult, so when I ran a BXTZD, I preferred to remove the housing, clean it out and change the filter.
lack of power in citroen bx diesel - David M
Apart from the fuel filter, I'd check the pedal bulkhead, which can distort and cause limited pedal travel. It's a known BX problem. For more advice on this and other BX problems I'd try posting on members4.boardhost.com/citroen_bx/

A distorted bulkhead often causes your pedals to be canted up at a funny angle so that you have to work the accelerator pedal "around the corner" - a funny description, but it means you're applying leftward and inward pressure for accelerator travel rather than downward pressure.

The cure is normally to remove the box and have it welded/strengthened.

lack of power in citroen bx diesel - greaser pv
I agree with David M. Just fixed one a week ago , throttle pedal side of pedal box had fractured nearly all the way up.
cheers, the pedal box sounds like a good place to start

Pete
lack of power in citroen bx diesel - Dave_TD
I would say the fuel filter is the most likely culprit, this was always the case on my old Mondeo. A quick drain would sort it out for 3,000 miles, or a replacement element for 5,000 miles. It had done twice the mileage of your BX though!