All models - Dmf - Chris79
Hello all,

Dmf s seem to get a lot of bad press these days, as the owner of two diesel cars which are both under warranty what signs are there to indicate a failing dmf.

I was pleased to note that the vauxhall salesman from which the diesel corsa came from went to great lengths to highlight the issues with modern diesels before selling it to me. Apparently vauxhall now considers it policy to highlight these problems to anyone that does not do the mileage to justify a diesel.
All models - Dmf - unthrottled

Rattling, clanking at very low engine speeds-particularly when cranking the engine with the clutch out.

Thanks unthrottled. I've noticed with the corsa when accelarating through the gears gently you occasionally get a slight judder through the clutch pedal. If you accelerate hard the judder isn't evident.

It is also sometimes evident if you are at reasonably low revs in any particular gear eg 1750 rpm

Im not to sure what to think as I have read the 1.3 cdti engine fitted to the corsa is not the most refined unit!
All models - Dmf - unthrottled

Also, it is no more economical than the 1.7l unit-but it does have less get up and go. To be avoided unless BIK dictates othrwise.

All models - Dmf - jamie745

Ive driven the Astra 1.9 diesel and that was akin to walking pace and im really not a fast driver, anybody who's driven on the A12 will know you cant get anywhere anyway so theres no point in trying.

Are these symptoms just a characteristic of the engine then. Economy whilst not outstanding has been between 50 and 53 mpg which I achieve on a 50 mie trip between home and tilbury in Essex on a mix of backroads and supposedly fast moving a roads. Yes Jamie I know what you mean about the a12 but for me sadlers farm is far worse!

If this engine is no great shakes is there a good small capacity diesel out there? I never drove the unit in the yaris, mainly because I had driven a petrol yaris as a hire car and really wasn't impressed
All models - Dmf - gordonbennet
I never drove the unit in the yaris, mainly because I had driven a petrol yaris as a hire car and really wasn't impressed

When we researched and eventually bought a smallish second car one of the criteria was £30 VED, but neither of us can stand sluggish cars.

Petrol cars with any sort of go were way over the VED band and didn't get the economy, most small Diesels with any sort of go either went up into the next band (no big deal) or looked plain horrible...Fabia for example.

2 cars stood out as ticking all the boxes, gave good if not sparkling performance, good economy and low VED.

Citroen C2 VTS 1.6HDi which we bought, but the alternative is the Grand Punto 1.6 Multijet.

The C2 is surprisingly quick, in local dodging about its returning around 53mpg, on a longer run it gets over 60 but only if you keep it around 70mph or just above, if you push it to 80 or beyond the economy plummets.

The Punto might have been better for interior room, but SWM loves here little pocket rocket...nearest she's come to her teenage days with her real CooperS.

Agree about the 1.7 litre in Corsa, mate had one and he regrets selling it, lots of guts that engine had.

Gordon Bennet,

I looked at a Grande Punto although again it had the 1.3 unit that i have in the Corsa, Had it had a more complete SH i could have been interested. As for the citroen I used to have citroens in the past most recently a C4 and after my experiences i vowed never again.

Its interesting as I spend quite a bit of time as a passenger in a new C5, which being used as a taxi has racked up a 6 figure mileage without problems and it is a really nice car.

But as they say once bitten twice shy and i just couldnt risk it. I wonder whether the newer citroens are now more robust cars?. I think i would have to see a trend of more contented owners and improvements in the many reliability surveys before i could consider it again.

All models - Dmf - gordonbennet

I think the newer Citroens are better cars, certainly the Eolys injected system for DPF miantenance seems to be doing its job, don't hear of the problems plaguing other makes in this respect, though fluid renewal time might be an expensive business.

As is often the case with some makes, its the dealer experience that lets the brand down, this is where Toyota win hands down..

The dealer made it clear in no uncertain terms that the warranty was out when a dash light came on literally a couple of days after the warranty expired, this was before they had even laid eyes on it.

No problem, they never did lay eyes on it and the dealer network will never see another penny of my money, nice of them to be so up front about lack of customer goodwill, and the light went out after a decent blast up the dual carriageway, so presumably it only needed a run to clear the DPF properly.

Course if they like some customer aware makes put their money where their mouths are and upped the warranty to 5 years, it would give potential buyers a feeling of more confidence.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/01/2012 at 08:44

I think your right Gordon Bennet. We have been lucky enough to find a local independent garage which is where both cars will go once they are out of warranty. Some people might say why not take them there now, and ensure they use the genuine parts to keep your warranty intact.

I dont think some dealers need an excuse to try and dodge some warranty claims and as such ill keep the car main dealer serviced until the warranty is out.

It s just a shame that the high prices charged doesnt neccesarily equal good service.

All models - Dmf - catsdad

Returning to the symptoms question. My 2009, 45,00 mile 2.0L diesel Mondeo has no rattle but I do find that about 2000 revs under medium load (e.g accelarating with four passengers from 65 - 75 mph) there is slight lumpiness developing - as if it wants me to change down. Its OK below those revs so its not appropriate to change down. I'd welcome veiws as to whether this is possibly DMF related. I will mention at next service but thats not for a while.

All models - Dmf - ChannelZ

1.3CDTI engine is made out of chocolate. Hollow camshafts snap, timing chain problems, turbos, injectors....I wouldn't touch one with yours.

Go for the 1.7CDTI every time.

Incidentally Gordon Bennett - Talking about warranties. My Corsa which I have had for 2 months was purchased under the Network Q scheme. The first time I used the heated rear window it did not work. It turns out that the elements in the window had gone, Naively I thought i would get the work done under warranty - however Network Q wasted no time in telling me to get lost. Thankfully the main dealer from which I purchased it from have footed the bill. Whilst the episode has left a slightly sour taste I am impressed with the dealer.Having now read the small print on the Network Q warranty it appears that very little is covered. Thats not what they tell you when they are selling the car.........

All models - Dmf - RT

I don't know whether things have changed but the Network Q warranty used to be regarded as the best of the used car warranties.

What I don't understand is why you tried to go directly to Network Q rather than through the dealer you bought the car from.

I did go straight to the dealer, who tried to make a claim on network q, unsuccessfully - the dealer then agreed to foot the bill
All models - Dmf - ChannelZ

The first time I used the heated rear window it did not work. It turns out that the elements in the window had gone, Naively I thought i would get the work done under warranty - however Network Q wasted no time in telling me to get lost.

Network Q didn't like you. I had a rear screen replaced under Network Q warranty on my Astra Sporthatch, and it only had 2 lines of the rear heater not working.