peugeot 307 sw 2002 - Dull thud when trying to start, and won't start at - muchfatterbloke

Hi all, I tried to start my car and when I turned the key there was thud, and now when I turn the key, there is a clicking sound, not unlike a stuck starter motor.

Not sure if this is relevent, but the dipstick was not fully in it's hole and the oil filler cap is missing,(but not on the floor under the car). Do these motors pressurise for any reason?

If there is a possibility of the timing belt being dead, and the car being 250,000kms old, I will have to sell for spares and get another car. But not a Pug, I am sick of the orange particle filter lights coming on, 500€uros, and the diesel additive running out, another 400€uros. Peugeot dealers are driving Mercedes here in France!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

peugeot 307 sw 2002 - Dull thud when trying to start, and won't start at - Peter.N.

Sounds as though you have a flat battery or a faulty starter.

peugeot 307 sw 2002 - Dull thud when trying to start, and won't start at - Victorbox

Possibly a duff battery, but if you've driven for a while with dipstick out and oil cap off, is there any oil in the sump?

peugeot 307 sw 2002 - Dull thud when trying to start, and won't start at - hardway

Dull thud!! Hmm,go stick it in 2nd gear,h/brake off,key off and try shoving it backwards or forwards while watching the alternator drive belts,what you want to see is you pushing the car,road wheels turning the engine over and the belt moving,what I suspect you'll see,if you can push it at all is nothing moving,I think your "dull thud" was the piston contacting something inside it shouldn't.Oh and next time engine size and fuel type please.

peugeot 307 sw 2002 - Dull thud when trying to start, and won't start at - muchfatterbloke

I feel a bit of a fool.

There was a distinct thud, and this turns out to be the battery exploding.

Replaced the battery and it started .Duh!

Does this point to anything other than a duff battery?

A bad weekend though, whilst driving my Renault Espace IV, it started to vibrate and make a continual clacking noise, took it to the garage, (under guarantee thank god, )and they seem to think the crank, or a conrod has expired.

Didn't tell me the 2.2 litre deisel engine can develop this fault, when they took my 11 grand!!

peugeot 307 sw 2002 - Dull thud when trying to start, and won't start at - Avant

Glad you sorted out the 307 without too much grief. But maybe your next car needs to something other than French, or it might be a case of muchthinnerwallet. :)

peugeot 307 sw 2002 - Dull thud when trying to start, and won't start at - Peter.N.

The battery probably exploded because there was a loose connection on it which created a spark which ignited the hydrogen. Make sure the connections are clean and bright and apply some vasaline to them.