what is that all about - You have won 3000 dollars Honest john - injection doc

I have just googled the tel number and there is loads of information on it being a holiday scam & the company asking for credit card details to the tune of 8-900 !!!! to secure your win !

Why is a reputable site promoting that in one of its boxes ?

It says I'm a lucky winner in London of a 3000 prize. Yeah right !

what is that all about - You have won 3000 dollars Honest john - Avant

Sorry - I can't see this. Can you let us know which telephone no. and whereabouts on the site you saw this? Thanks.

Hi Avant

It appeared in the big banner box on the home page next to Honest John Pic & Logo.

It flashed up I have 1 mail awaiting & gave me 240 seconds to accept !

My Screen shot wasnt working but I have photos on my phone of the screens it took me to including its first appearence on your site.

The call number was 1-407-260-3620 or 02079797823 & my confirmation number was GFEDDQWM

"

www.callid.org%2FPhone-Number%2F02079797823%2F&...A" target="_blank">02079797823 - Caller Identification Details www.callid.org/Phone-Number/02079797823/ 3 Feb 2011 – Africians on the scam again from Summer Bay Resorts. IGNOR!" "
  1. 407-260-3620: who called us from 4072603620? phoneowner.info/Number.aspx/4072603620 14 Jan 2011 – USA Office 1-407-260-3620 i called them and i belived it of course, until they asked me abaout my phone number its a f***ing scam all they ..."
    When I googled the headline in the offer this is where it took me ! "My daughter was naturally very excited when a message appeared on our computer saying that we had won a $3000 holiday in Orlando. I,however was not easily fooled but I wanted to demonstrate to my daughter that it was a scam rather than just say so. I put the speakerphone on as I dialed, and was instantly put through to an American named Tom. He congratulated us on our win and asked I what the catch was. He said the catch was that we had to take a vacation.He asked my name and contact details, and continued to tell me that the prize consisted of three holidays in one, i.e. 6 days+4 nights in Orlando, a mini cruise, and so many days in the Bahamas. The holiday could be taken anytime in the next 18 months, for 4 people. They claimed to be a 'time share property promotion company'.
    I asked who had to pay for the flights. Guess what? He said we did. As if that wasn't enough, I was then swiftly transferred to another operator who immediately asked for my Visa card details to 'secure' my holiday, to the tune of $898.00! I was told it was essential to have a Visa whilst in the US for the 'free' car rental? I said I didn't have one, so he asked for my partners Visa- he doesn't have one either. I don't know who was more disappointed, the operator because he couldn't scam me, or my daughter because I said forget it & put the phone down! It would appear that the word 'free' has a different meaning in the US. Don't fall for it."

I googled the phone numbers & there are lists of people complaining about some scam & charges to credit cards to continue

Must also add this wasnt a floating advert! this was set into the banner as an advert !

what is that all about - You have won 3000 dollars Honest john - RT

I don't get a banner on the home page - just the Honest john title and picture - could be the advantage of using an ad-blocker.

It was in the banner that displays the Hyundi i40 advert it was switching between that add and " I have a mail waiting "

It clearly stated that I had been chosen as this Friday nights winner & it was all done in matching colours to the rest of the site.

it can be seen here

http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx33/injectiondoc/Honestjohn/?action=view&current=IMG00227-20111118-1825.jpg

what is that all about - You have won 3000 dollars Honest john - TeeCee

Very common.

Embed your scam as a bit of moody javascript in an outwardly innocent advert and let the ad peddlars push it to the punters for you. I am afraid this sort of thing is going to be with us until the ad servers refuse to accept anything that requires external links to content and also vet everything they serve.

Fat chance of that, as one of the things it would prevent is advertisers block booking slots and then populating them with whatever they want from their own content at will. Google were talking about "doing something about it" a while back. Rather unsurprsingly nothing came of it as they own Doubleclick, who are one of the worst offenders when it comes to moody content.

You'd be amazed at how much external, scripted and potentially nasty content is being fetched while rendering yer average page these days. There's all the google analytics stuff, those twitter / facebook / gplus tracking script buttons (which have pretty dubious behaviour in themselves) and such for starters, before you start digging into the banners and such.....

what is that all about - You have won 3000 dollars Honest john - malteser

Use the Firefox "no script" add-on and many nasties can be avoided.

what is that all about - You have won 3000 dollars Honest john - sirionman

Upgrade your browser.