Keys and mobiles in-car killers! - Bilboman

I came across a curious motoring anecdote in a recent news item on Spanish tv, which I thought I'd pass on. Apparently, keeping a bunch of keys in a trouser pocket is a massacre waiting to happen. An ambulance paramedic said that in numerous accidents he had attended, drivers had suffered gruesome injuries from keys in the trouser pocket, which, in a collision, can lacerate the femoral artery and cause massive bleeding.
The rest of the programme warned against leaving loose objects such as mobiles and iPodsanywhere in the car, which can become dangerous flying objects in even a low-speed collision. At 60 km/h a smartphone has an effective mass of 60 kgs IIRC.
As my Focus is not over-burdened with storage spaces (a later version my colleague drives has a lidded armrest and a hinged flap to the lower console compartment) I have always carried my house keys in my pocket and placed my BlackBerry in the open phone slot next to the handbrake. Never again!!

Keys and mobiles in-car killers! - injection doc

Vewry good advice, I used to work on vehicle recovery and sometime the injuries caused by objects in someones own car was far worse than those caused by the accident.

Flying dogs, thermo flasks! brief cases ! Tools & Tool boxes ! including a chain saw on a back seat once ! shopping.

Unless someone has been in a severe accident which i dont wish on any one they will never listen to advice until after the event !

Keys and mobiles in-car killers! - dieselnut

I used to keep my mobile in my leathers breast pocket while riding my motorcycle.

Then one day I came off my bike after hitting spilt diesel that some kind soul had left on the road. I slid into a grass bank at some speed & the phone helped to break 4 of my ribs.

The phone was a rubber unbreakable version, it was totally wrecked, even the fairly thick perspex display cover was broken.

Needless to say I carry nothing solid in my leathers any more.

Keys and mobiles in-car killers! - Bobbin Threadbare

You need a handbag. Just don't get the strap caught round the gearstick!

Keys and mobiles in-car killers! - bathtub tom

My kids used to insist on keeping their books on the rear parcel shelf, despite my warnings, until I had to do an emergency stop (ain't ABS wonderful).

That cured 'em.

Keys and mobiles in-car killers! - 1litregolfeater

Good point.

Also don't climb ladders with knives, scrapers. screwdrivers or trowels in your back pocket.

Or front.